Chapter 18

They ran trough the gates and immediately held me and Kokonoi. In the moment of pain and realization, Rindou looked at the bullet in Hajime's head. Tears rolled down his face. Eyes wide open. Ran turned to his brother, hugged him as hard as he could, as he let out a bloody loud scream. Pure pain could be heard. Yelling, denying, anger, sadness, pain. Sanzu just stood there, looking at the scene in front of him. Numbness taking over his body.

I looked down, still holding onto Kokonoi's now deceased body. Eyes closed, smile on his face. He died smiling. I was there, if I was just smarter and stronger. Rain was pouring down at us. Even the sky  knows. As everyone was hugging and crying, I looked up. The moon was shining so bright, despite the heavy rain and dark clouds surrounding it.

For the last time, I took Kokonoi's face in my hands, caressing it.

"Goodbye, my angel, we will be together again. Until then, let's pray for each other."

I pulled him into a hug. Big one. Last one. His body was heavy, and tears started to flow again.

I looked around, and caught Rindou staring at me. His eyes were red. I took his hand.

"Will you help me?"

I could feel the uneasy feeling, but I couldn't do this on my own.

"I will."

Sanzu put his hand on my shoulder. It felt like a knife stabbing me right in the back. He took Kokonoi from my embrace.

"Take her inside. I will take care of him."

With that, he just disappeared.

Ran took me in his arms, both of us crying on each others shoulder. Rindou hugged us.

"We need to go inside. Come on."

Every step was heavier than one before. Every breath was harder to take. And every tear was bigger and bigger. Here I am, in Kokonoi's room. Bed is empty, room clean and organized. One thing was out of the order. I took a step closer to his desk. It was his diary. It's closed. I shouldn't read it. But something is pulling me to that..

I opened it.

Page one:

"I'm not sure when the feelings started:

the first time

that I thought about what it would be like

to press my lips against yours.

I swear

I haven't always had these thoughts

something changed

on that May afternoon

when I thought I saw something

in the way you looked at me."

1

Page two:

"When death finds my hand,

I will hold you with the other and promise 

to find you in every lifetime"