=Yourself=

Although you didn't mind wearing clothes typically associated with your assigned gender at birth, you felt most comfortable and true to yourself when dressed in the opposite gender's clothing. It felt natural and right, allowing you to express your authentic self rather than conforming to societal expectations. Despite facing harsh criticism and judgment from some relatives and others, you remained unfazed. It had been a long journey, but you had come to realize that your happiness and comfort were paramount in how you presented yourself to the world and within your own identity. However, not everyone understood or agreed, and some continued to target and harass you because of it.

"That's a new low blow you've hit, you idiot. Besides, she rocks those clothes way better than you ever could," a gruff voice spoke up from behind you, defending you against the man who was harassing you to conform to gender norms. "What's the matter, man? Is she your girlfriend or something?" The opposing group burst into laughter. The defender responded, "Now that's a cheap shot." "No, but I guess that's the only reason you're interested in her, right? You know you can't impress anyone else in this room, so you're looking for another person to demean, just like yourself." As the other group laughed and left the pub, you turned to face your savior. "Thank you. Can I buy you a drink?" you offered gratefully to the large man. "Sure, I'm Fushiguro," he introduced himself, and you shared your own name as you paid for his drink. "Does this happen often?" he asked, taking a sip. You took a sip of your own drink and replied, "Yeah, some people just can't mind their own business, but I've learned to brush it off."

You spent the rest of the night engaging in conversation, but nothing particularly noteworthy occurred. Fushiguro bought you drinks, and you exchanged stories with each other. However, something shifted in Toji's mind when he noticed your genuine smile as he shared stories about his son dyeing his hair blonde, saying, "I don't want people to know we're related on family day." While his older stepdaughter scolded the younger one, Toji scoffed as Megumi made an appointment at a hair salon.

__

Mr. Fushiguro had been absent from his children's lives for quite some time. Since the night you met, he had been paying you to babysit them, but he never explained the reasons behind his regular absences. His mysterious and cryptic history raised questions, but you refrained from prying. After all, his kids liked you, you were earning money, and he could trust you completely to take care of them while he was at work. So, who were you to complain, really?

As time went on, you discovered more about Mr. Fushiguro's likes and dislikes. You noticed how your favorite meal brought a sparkle to your eyes, or how you instinctively searched for your favorite color in anything that caught your attention. On the other hand, you learned that he despised potatoes and enjoyed spicy food, staying active, going to the gym, and had a love for animals—interests he shared with his son. Toji worked part-time at a small animal shelter where his 4-year-old son Megumi had practically adopted every creature, from frogs to dogs, snakes, and birds.

Tsumiki, Toji's daughter, seemed happier, and the house felt less gloomy and empty each time you visited. You could see that her younger brother shared her sentiment as he eagerly presented you with his completed assignments and colored drawings, hoping for your encouragement and praise as an older sibling figure. Similarly, when Tsumiki saw her classmates' parents, she felt less alone and resentful. They assisted her with challenging tasks and attended parent-teacher conferences, something her father couldn't do. She couldn't help but feel envious, wishing her father would be present for her presentations or any important events.

Although Tsumiki knew you were not her parent, she was aware of Megumi and Toji's hope for you to become part of the Fushiguro family in the future. Tsumiki noticed her father's gaze as he observed you helping Megumi with his assignment. With a smile, the 6-year-old girl entered the room, eager to assist her younger sister.

__

It was refreshing to be treated with acceptance and normalcy by the Fushiguro family. They welcomed you into their home without commenting on how you defied gender stereotypes. You caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror, remembering Toji's invitation to dinner once he transitioned to full-time work at the local animal shelter, allowing him more time for his kids and himself. Blushing at your own thoughts, you snapped out of it when a knock came at your door. "You deserve more than just dinner, but I thought it would be fun anyway," Toji said as you took a deep breath and headed towards the front door.

As you opened the door, you noticed Tsumiki, who had been learning to crochet to make plush animals for Megumi, presenting you with a bouquet of flowers. Toji loosened his collar and handed it to you. "Ready to go?" he asked, to which you nodded and smiled, transferring the flowers into an empty vase. "Yep! By the way, where are we going?" you inquired, taking his hand and following him to his motorcycle. Putting on your helmet, you watched as he started the engine and gestured for you to climb aboard. With a grin, he said, "You'll see."

"Wrap your arms around me, sweetie. We wouldn't want you falling for someone else now, would we?" he teased, despite your flushed face and playful pout. Chuckling at your reaction, he led you into the twilight, where the two of you would spend the rest of the day together. And hopefully, the rest of your lives.

___

Sorry for not updating, I got into a crisis and found out that I am aroace and questioned my idea of romance and other questions related to that which is hard if you supposedly like writing short, crappy, romance stories with your favorite fictional characters. It's also why this chapter is kinda short.