Chapter 1 - Something Like That

John very quickly became a regular and had been dropping Dahlia off every day for the past week. Your conversations had been short, but pleasant, though you were often the one carrying them.

For the first time in a while, you weren't compulsively fishing for information. Though it would be nice to know what he did all day. According to the neighborhood gossip group you had charmed yourself into, he only recently started leaving home frequently, apart from the times he took Dahlia for walks that is.

He was clearly a bit of a recluse, but men like you tended to isolate yourself. It was safer that way. For everyone.

You smiled warmly as you saw a familiar silhouette cast a shadow on the grass in front of you.

"Hey John," you greeted him, without turning around. Dahlia shoved her face under your arm and you chuckled, rubbing her head roughly.

"You'll be picking her up at the usual time?"

John grunted an affirmative. You looked over your shoulder. John was clad in all black, his hair forming a dark halo around his face as he looked down.

"Today a special occasion?"

The man blinked, ran a hand through his hair and nodded. "Work."

"So you were looking for work the whole week?"

"Yes."

"Well good job," you pat his knee and then went back to giving Dahlia back rubs. You heard him make another bemused sound before he began to walk away.

"Don't die."

You heard him pause, likely tube around before he mumbled. "I won't...of course."

"Well your girl is in good hands. Bye John."

"Bye (Y/N)."

~~~

When John came back you could tell he was high strung. Dahlia could sense it too, because she didn't try to tackle him like she usually did.

"Is she sick?" He asked, recognizing her out of ordinary behavior.

"She's fine. How about you and I have a cup of coffee?"

He looked confused for a second, before he nodded. "I...okay."

You led him to a small kitchenette you installed in a room behind the front desk. "How do you take your coffee?"

"Black."

You went about the motions of making the coffee, allowing John to get lost in his own thoughts in a neutral environment. When you were done you cleared your throat. He looked up.

You offered him the mug and he took a huge gulp. Some of the tention left his broad shoulders.

"Feeling better?" You asked, opting to look out if the window above the sink.

"I, yeah. Thank you. Dahlia noticed?"

You nodded. "Dogs always do. I never trained them to but a lot of my dogs can notice when I'm anxious and stuff. Strigoi especially. Suppose it's because I've had him since he was an ugly lil puppy."

"People breed those?" He asked, incredulously. You snorted.

"Nope. He was a stray. Had him since..."

You paused. "He's five now."

You looked out of thw window again, seeing Dahlia was snoozing with your dogs.

"Dahlia is tuckered out. She was especially unhinged today."

John almost looked offended. "Excuse you. She's an angel."

You grinned. "Angel of Chaos, maybe. Come on. Let's go get her."

The moment you stepped outside, the peace and quiet of the afternoon was broken by a deafening gun shot. Your hand immediately shot to the side of your thigh and John's just under his suit jacket. When no second shot followed after twenty seconds, the two of you relaxed, though only marginally.

Strigoi, having noticed your distress, had already trotted up to your heel, and pressed his face against your thigh. You reached down to pet him. John, surprisingly, was the first to break the tense silence.

"Ex-military?"

Your smile was tense. "Something like that," you answered, staring at his chest.

"You a body guard or something?" You asked, your question leading.

"Something like that," he parroted.

~~~

John was late today. He usually came to fetch Dahlia at five. It was six already.

"Hey, (Y/N)? I'm clocking out. Will you call Mr Wick?" Fern asked. You nodded.

"Yeah no worries Fern. You going out with your girlfriend today?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

"You don't usually sound this excited when you go home, now do you? Say hi to get for me."

"Will do boss."

"Eugh don't call me that. Makes me feel like a capitalist."

"You are tho-"

"Shush you. Go and be gay."

"Bye (Y/N)~"

"Bye, you terror."

You pulled out your phone and hovered over the computer, trying to find John's number.

Ah ha. Bingo.

You had to call twice before someone answered.

"Wick," you heard John mutter, sounding winded.

"John. It's (Y/N). Wanted to see if you were all right."

You heard abrupt shuffling on the other end of the line, followed by a sharp intake of breath. "Ah Dahlia. I...I'm sorry."

You listened intently to his movements and his breathing which all seemed to convey the same message. He was injured. Pretty badly.

"Where are you injured?"

He paused. "...I'm not injured."

"You're a fucking terrible liar is what. Where?"

He sighed heavily. "Abdomen. Just missed my liver."

"Weapon?"

"Standard combat knife. Knew this was a bad idea yesterday. Didn't listen to my gut," he muttered.

"Can you drive?"

"Yeah?" He sounded apprehensive.

"Come here. I've always got medical supplies stocked. Bit of a habit."

"Suppose I still need to come fetch Dahlia," he huffed.

You hummed. "One can only control the chaos potato for so long."

John chuckled. "Then I suppose I should hurry up."

~~~

When John showed up, he climbed out of his Mustang and stood in front of the gate, his hand pressed against his side.

You hurried outside to great him. "Always using the wrong goddamn gate," you mumbled, throwing his arm over your shoulder to support his weight.

"I've been using the wrong gate?"

You pointed at the smaller gate on the far side if the fence.

"Ah. I see."

"Just get inside Wick."

"Were you a medic?"

"Something like that. Were you supposed to be dead?"

He huffed. "Something like that."

[A/N: I hope John's tone and dialogue seems in character. I've always seen him as being sort of socially inept unless he's working. That coupled with his ability to hyperfixate to the extreme makes me headcannon him as neurodivergent (though it's up to your interpretation in which way)

Hope yall enjoyed. The plot itself is going to officially begin within the next two chapters]