Chapter 16 - One Could Hope

[A/N: Okay it seems like I lied. Not intentionally, mind you, but this chapter took longer than I thought. We just got back from touring and I haven't had a lot of time to just sit down and write. The next chapter should be pretty long though. Anyway I hope you enjoy and I apologize for any typos]

The next day, for some bizzare reason, John refused to look you in the eye. He didn't usually shy away from eye contact with people he was comfortable with so you found it weird.

You touched his shoulder. "John? Are you okay?"

He flinched bodily and you raised your hands in a placating gesture. "Oh shit. Did something happen?"

He turned bright red and shook his head. "No. Uh, nothing happened. I'm just feeling jumpy."

You shot him a worried glance but nodded slowly. "If you say so, John. I just wanted to tell you that if you're up for it, we could go to the warehouse in Texas by the end of the week."

He perked up. "Really?"

"Yeah. I've bought tickets for a flight to Mauritius under our real names. We'll head to Texas under an alias, finish the op and then head to Mauritius."

He laughed. "Action and then a vacation? A man after my own heart."

He paused awkwardly after he'd said that, fidgeting nervously with the throw hanging over the back of the sofa.

You snorted. "Oh no, my attempt at seduction has been revealed!"

He turned red again and you frowned.

"Geez, sorry if I embarrassed you, Johnny. I was just joking."

He hung his head in his hands. "Aurgh fuck it's not you, it's me. I'll be better in a few days."

You hummed. "Okay. As long as you're doing alright. You can talk to me when something is bothering you."

He removed his hands from his face, an endearing pink tinge still present on his cheeks. "Thank you."

"I didn't think you were physically capable of blushing, John."

He groaned. "Shut up."

~~~

"We'll fly to Corpus Christi, where I'll meet Cain and get out gear. Our mark is in San Antonio," you said, pointing at the documents you'd laid on the coffee table. "It's a well-secured mansion. The victims are brought to the house under the guise of package deliveries by trucks. They're then held in the owner's basement."

You pointed at blueprints. "The place is fucking huge, John. The basement itself is more than twice the size of the house. This is going to be one hell of a job."

You picked up another paper and handed it to him. "There's security on the perimeter, alarms in the mansion, hundreds of guards both above and underground."

"We can't get in and complete the mission within that time frame."

You nodded. "This whole blasted thing we've got going is nothing like the assignments you're used to. You're used to having one target and getting rid of collateral quickly. In and out. This will take us at least twenty minutes, thanks to the convoluted architecture of the basement. This op is dangerous, John. This'll probably be the worst one and we'll need that time in Mauritius to recover. I found a doctor in San Antonio that can patch us up before we catch our flight."

He carded a hand through his hair and leaned backward. "I still don't know how you expect us to manage it. We can't bypass this much security for twenty minutes."

You grimaced. "Now that's the not so fun part. We'll have to go undercover."

"How?"

"They have monthly galas there, but in actuality it's a front for an auction."