Chapter 10 - Shell Of Myself

"Oh hi, (Y/N). It's nice to see you outside of work for once," a young woman said, a fit but equally tall man attached to her hip. You looked away from your half empty pint and gave her a bright smile.

"Nice way to say I'm practically a hermit. Speaking of work, will your doodle be wrecking my yard again soon?"

The lady rolled her eyes and shoved you playfully. You showed a minute tick of annoyance that only John seemed to pick up.

"Yeah. We'll have her over soon. Joel and I have a triathlon next weekend."

"Just make a reservation with Fern regardless. For the sake of having it on record so long."

"Will do. Who's this? Finally got someone to sack?" She said, turning to look at John. John looked distinctly uncomfortable. You sighed.

"Don't be crude, Joy. This is John. John, this is Joy. Her dog boards with us a lot."

John nodded. "Nice to meet you," he said softly, his behavior completely contrasting his easy confidence and bravado when working. You had to admit, it was sort of cute.

"You've got decent taste. I questioned your sanity when you turned that person down a few months ago," she commented.

A flair of annoyance passed through both you and John but for decidedly different reasons.

"Yeah well, John's special," you declared, missing the shocked look John gave you from across the table. "I'll see you guys next week."

After an amicable smile and muttered words of goodbye, the couple left. You practically sagged with relief.

"She's...intense," John muttered. You huffed.

"Understatement of the year. I don't know how Joel does it."

"That's a bit rude."

"Yeah I guess. Sorry Johnny. Just tired."

"How long were they at the daycare?"

"Fuck, two hours? Yeah two hours. Felt like forever through."

"You had nothing conspicuous on your phone?"

"Oh. No. Just pictures of dog tags. The poor woman was a little disconcerted."

"Ah the nice female agent? Should've let Westwood have a look instead. Might have scared him."

"Nah you can tell he's the stubborn sort. We'll have him on our case for a while. How long do you reckon we'll be involved?"

To anyone else, you seemed to be talking about your relationship with John, but John knew you were referring to the mission.

"Considering the range? I'd say at least a year. Since I know you're exceedingly careful. The extra time will be used for healing wounds and staying on the down low."

You nodded. The time frame made sense. "Are you satisfied with that, Johnny?"

John tilted his head. "Are we stopping after that?"

John didn't like how forlorn he sounded at the suggestion. He had a feeling he'd been becoming rather dependent on the situation.

You regarded him thoughtfully. "Not unless you want to. This is...part of who I am now. Without it or Lance I'm a shell of myself. I'd be ecstatic to continue, if you'll have me."

The admission struck a cord within John. He could relate. God, he could relate.

"I can arrange a meeting to get our identification soon," John said, interrupting the emotionally taxing conversation from before.