Chapter 14 - Weird Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

Agent Westwood sat across from the haggard looking woman. A cup of lukewarm coffee sat in front of her. She looked at it with a grimace painting her conventionally attractive face.

"I've already been interviewed by three seperate police officers," she said.

"We're FBI, not police," Agent Barkley said, trying his best to seem unobtrusive in front of the traumatized woman. Agent Westwood, predictably, did the exact opposite.

"You're all the same to me. Only reason I'm not fucking dead is because of a man who killed forty people. Law enforcement did fuck all."

"Are you sure there was just one attacker?" Westwood asked. The woman nodded.

"Yeah. He came into the penthouse and threatened Antonin. He looked manic but he was acting rationally. After he immobilized Antonin, he left but not before making sure I was okay. He was nice."

Westwood snorted. "Yes. Because killing forty people is super nice."

The woman's face hardened. "A good portion of the men who bought me were cops. I have no fucking respect for you self serving assholes. I'm sure that man did it for his own selfish reasons too, but at least he gave a shit. I refuse to speak with anyone any further. I'm sick of this shit."

She took a deep breath as the men left. She hoped she did the right thing by lying to them. Antonin's recount of the situation probably wouldn't hold much weight. She hoped she made your crusade a little easier.

She hoped you two were going to burn the trade to the fucking ground.

~~~

As much as your first impulse was to collapse onto the bed, you and John went to greet your dogs first, laughing as they slobbered all over your faces as payback for leaving them for two days.

Strigoi and Dahlia were undoubtedly the most animated of the pack. You gave Dahlia lots of attention as she moved from John to you, begging for pets.

"Who's my pretty little baby? You are! Yes you are, darling," you mumbled to the dog in a baby voice, earning a laugh from John.

"You sound ridiculous," he muttered, but continued smiling, not seeming put off in the slightest.

You gasped dramatically and the pit bull's ears lifted up at the sound, as if sharing your indignation. "John Wick, are you telling me you don't baby talk this sweet puppy? How dare you. She deserves it."

John looked away. "It's...weird."

"Who gives a fucking shit, Johnny," you said, letting your hand rest against the nape of his neck. He leaned into the contact. "Weird is in the eye of the beholder. If someone thinks what you do or say is weird then they don't deserve to be around you."

He hummed, picking at the grass underneath him, before he made a conscious effort to stop and seemed to mentally berate himself.

"What if everyone thinks I'm weird, though? That's how it's always been. Has to be a personal fault, then."

You shook your head. "Nah. I don't think you're weird."

John looked up at you, surprised. "Really?"

You smiled. "Mhmhm. Do you think I'm weird?"

John thought about it for a while, glancing at your bandaged forearm in passing. "I do not feel normal around you. But you don't feel abnormal around me. It feels...right. But I suppose right doesn't have to mean normal."

You smiled shyly at him. "I'm glad. I want you to feel generally comfortable. If I do anything to change that, I expect you to tell me what that thing is."