019

trigger warning: mentions of sa

everyone in the room was silent, nobody really knew what to say.

"tara." joe said sympathetically, wishing he could take the argument back.

"no," tara said. "just finish the game without me."

tara gathered her stuff and left. she was so frustrated and the pouring rain came out of nowhere.

she got in her car and drove off. when she was driving on the way on highway, she got a text from joe.

joey b

tara, i'm sorry. let me
talk to you please.

she went to go respond when the headlights flashed on her face and then everything went black.

• • •

"the dots were there and then they disappeared." joe said putting his phone down on the couch.

"maybe she didn't want to respond." evan said.

"baby, i don't think that's making the situation better." rory said rubbing evan's arm.

tee turned on the tv, to distract joe because what else could anyone do?

"the news is good, it's interesting." charlie said, turning to the news channel.

"breaking news, a jeep wrangler flipped in a car crash on the highway." the news broadcaster said.

joe's heart dropped, along with everyone's in the room. the demeanor changed so fast. "that's tara's car." lily said. she said what everyone was thinking.

"i'm going to the hospital." joe said getting up from the couch, putting his shoes on.

"we'll come with you." jamar said. and so they did, everyone got up and packed into charlie's car, it's the biggest.

joe, jamar, evan, tee, lily, rory and charlie all got in. joe drove, everyone didn't want him to, he wasn't in the right mindset, but then again, was anyone?

joe sped, he drove faster than he ever had in his life to get to that hospital. what if they were too late?

once they arrived to the hospital, tara was in the emergency room. they went back, although it was immediate family only, they were all she had.

the machines were beeping, tara had a bug bandage on her head, it had blood seeping through just a little.

this was joe's fault. he texted her. what if he caused it? no. there was no what if, he knows he caused it.

joe's eyes teared up at the sight. her eyes fluttering open and closed, she looked like she was in so much pain. she's almost died twice this year. both of them, joe could easily blame himself for.

"what happened?" tara asked.

"you were in a car crash." tee said. "we found out on the news."

"so i'm famous?" tara asked jokingly, making each one of them let out a soft chuckle. joe didn't chuckle, or smile, his face didn't even alter from the sad expression on his face.

"i don't know how it happened." tara said. "i was driving, and then i look up and headlights are coming straight for me."

"it's my fault." joe choked out. "i texted you, i distracted you. you could've died."

"but i didn't." tara said. "and it isn't your fault. and i didn't even cause it, a car came towards me. the doctor told me that."

eventually, everyone left the room, except for joe.

"i'm sorry, for everything." joe said. "what i said, it wasn't right."

"it's okay," tara said. "just don't be sad please. i don't like seeing you sad."

"you've been through so much, and i just don't know what to do." joe said, he felt so bad for tara.

"i know i've been through a lot, but what am i supposed to do about it?" tara said. "wallowing in sadness only wastes time."

"i admire you so much." joe said.

• • •

tara was discharged from the hospital two days later, thankfully, she didn't have to be on bed rest this time.

"i think you're gonna make it to the super bowl next year." tara said.

"people don't even think we'll make it to the playoffs." joe said. "one season wonders they call it."

"i don't think you'll be a one season wonder, i think making it to the playoffs will be the new standard for this team." tara said.

"if everyone will stop overlooking us first." joe said.

"mmm, this season is gonna be different." tara said. "i'm smelling afc north champs again."

"do you wear a purity ring?" joe asked, completely changing the subject.

"yes," tara said, showing joe the ring. "i think doing it has an insane amount of vulnerability that i don't know if i have."

"so you and finn have never," joe said.

"yes, well, no." tara said. "it's complicated. it happened, but without my consent."

"are you being serious?" joe asked, just as he thought finn couldn't get any worse.

"he was drunk, i told him no and he didn't like that answer." tara said, acting as if it was not big deal.

it was a big deal. but, fake it till you make it, right?

"i really hate him." joe said.

"hate is a strong word, joe." tara replied.

"i know what i said." joe said. he meant it, but he had his reasons. "is that when you left him?"

"no, we were together for almost a year after he did that." tara said. "it kind of disappoints me how long i made excuses for him."

"i don't really want to talk about that anymore." tara said.

"who do you think has better hair, justin herbert or trevor lawrence?" joe asked.

"mmmm, trevor. he looks like he has a hair care routine, justin looks like he just had the hair and uses a 3 in 1 body wash." tara said.

"ew, not 3 in 1." joe said shaking his head. "do you think the steelers are making the playoffs this year?"

"no, but they have the past 19 seasons." tara said. "i doubt the browns will either."

"what nfc team do you think will do the best?" joe asked.

"the eagles, they had a good season. the 49ers and vikings will be up there too." tara said. "how do you think the rams will do?"

"i think they'll do good again." joe said.

"really?" tara said. "i think they'll have major superbowl hangover. i'm talking major losing record."

"well, i guess only time will tell with this one." joe said.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

tara can totally predict the future