023

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE( take back the cross )

( take back the cross )

THEA and JJ both head to the ship's tween forward hull, and they hide in the corridor nearby the doors. The members of the ship make their way inside, as they were ordered thanks to Pope and Cleo. Thea's job is look out since she's the closest to the entrance, and she watches the men thoroughly and carefully as they walk in, talking amongst themselves.

"Hey, what the hell is this all about?"

"This doesn't have anything to do with that stowaway, does it, boss?"

"Guess we'll find out."

"Psst!" JJ whispered, she turns to him. "How many?" She holds up three fingers to him.

"It's got something to do with that cross. I'm telling you, it's cursed. We're making God angry."

"Where's cap? Didn't he call us down here?"

"Yeah."

"What's going on man?"

"Waiting for the captain."

"He's supposed to be down here."

Out of all the unfamiliar voices coming down to the hull, there were two that Thea recognized.

"Where are we going, and where's dad?" The oblivious voice of Wheezie Cameron asked.

"I don't know, Wheezie." Rose Cameron answered, equally as clueless.

"What's happening?" Wheezie pursued her onslaught of questions, "Where's Rafe?"

A small part of her felt horrible for Wheezie, the poor kid didn't have the slightest clue about what was going on behind the closed doors of the Cameron family. She didn't know about Ward, Rafe, or Rose. She was shielded and blinded from all of it. With no idea who her father and older brother truly were, not to mention what they were capable of.

Thea turns to JJ, having the count of all the crew members fresh in mind. "Jay, that's all of the crew." She whispered.

"Except Ward." He whispered, "We need Ward."

She shook her head, "We can't wait. If we don't close it now, we're screwed."

JJ's eyes squeezed shut for a moment before opening again, then he gives a slight head tilt gesturing to the doors. The two quickly rush through the corridor and made their way to the metal door of the hull, then they close it shut as the crew members realize it's being closed. The duo push as hard as they can on the metal door to keep it shut, and the crew members push back on the other side trying to keep it open.

"Close it! Close it!" JJ yells.

"I'm trying!" She screams, forcing as much of her weight on the door as she can. She feels it completely close shut, and she looks back at him with gritted teeth as she continued to push back on it. "Lock it, Jay! Now!" He does so accordingly, locking the door closed to a chain.