i fall off some ugly rocks

That night, after dinner, I was so prepared for this game. After the talk, Kai told me all about capture the flag, telling me he used to play it the school two before Westover. I told him I didn't think the two were comparable.

We would be using literal swords, and arrows, and daggers. He probably just shoved and yanked ten-year-olds hair in his attempt to win.

Connor told the both of us it was only a small game, with only 15 roughly on both sides.

However, whilst the campers were enlivened and pumped up, the hunters were the opposite. Unlike last night, they weren't laughing or joking around. They just huddled together in the dining pavilion, whispering nervously to each other as they strapped on their armor. Some of them even looked like they'd been crying. Even Bianca was frowning to herself, worry clear in her features. A part of me wanted to see if she was okay, only because we still had a shared connection through Westover. She turned to another hunter though, whispering under her breath and I turned away.

"I'll show them 'love is worthless,'" Silena muttered to herself near me, strapping on her armor. "I'll pulverize them!"

Percy and Thalia were also somewhat close to me, so I was able to eavesdrop their conversation with ease.

"I'll take the offense," Thalia told him. "You take defense."

"Oh." His reply was short and stilted. It was obvious he hated that plan, "Don't you think with your shield and all, you'd be better defense?"

"Well, I was thinking it would make better offense," Thalia said. "Besides, you've had more practice at defense."

"Yeah," he gritted, a fake smile on his face. "No problem,"

"Cool." She left and he stood there for a few moments.

I nudged his shoulder, "Not a fan of defence, I'm guessing?"

He jumped slightly, "Not at all. My first time here, I was defense and was attacked by hellhounds and maimed by electric spears."

My smile fell, "What?"

"Don't worry, I doubt anything like that will happen tonight," he glanced towards the hunters, "Maybe."

"Reassuring." I drawled.

He glanced down at my armour. "You did it wrong. This is supposed to be strapped to this." He said, reaching out to do it himself.

He tugged on a strap, pulling me closer to him accidentally. A light blush appeared on his face, and I wondered why how he felt cold in this warm weather, even with his armour on.

"Thanks, Percy."

He looked back up at me, about to say something when Nico ran over, a grin splitting his face in half.

"Percy, Nai, this is awesome!" His blue-feathered bronze helmet was falling in his eyes, and his breastplate was about six sizes too big. He looked adorable. Looking at him, I couldn't help but remember Hades message from last night, telling me to look after Nico and Bianca both.

Nico lifted his sword with effort. "Do we get to kill the other team?" He sounded a bit too eager.

"Well... no." Percy replied, frowning. I turned away to hide my grin.

"But the Hunters are immortal, right?"

"That's only if they don't fall in battle. Besides-"

"It would be awesome if we just, like, resurrected as soon as we were killed, so we could keep fighting, and-"