Run

I swerved off the main road into an alleyway as I heard a car in the distance. I felt the car hit a bin, and I slammed the brakes on. Realising what I did would attract more attention than it would have if I continued down the road, I cursed and jumped out of the car, my heart racing.

I wasn't in the dodgy part of town yet, so there was a big chance that someone would see me and try to intervene, or worse, call the police. They had probably been alerted anyways, because of that teacher, but I still was hopeful.

I lifted Bella from the back seat and winced against the weight and the awkwardness of carrying her. I started walking, stumbling really, to the end of the alleyway and across a road into another alley.

The further I got into that part of town, the more derelict the buildings became. At first, I could see signs of life in the houses, and that's when I stuck to the shadows. But after walking for a while, the houses looked abandoned, and the roads became uneven and strewn with weeds and litter.

I hadn't come across a car since I got out of mine until now. An old white van was parked halfway down an alleyway with its motor still running, outside some sort of commercial building. An abandoned warehouse? I wasn't sure, but one of the metal doors was slightly open, and I could hear people talking inside.

I was halfway across the road when I heard the first sirens. I started sprinting but dropped the body. I was determined to bring her with me, so I stopped and used my mind to levitate the body off the ground. Then I continued running with the body following in the air behind me. I passed the door to the warehouse, and then thought again. I turned, and saw the police car speed past the entrance of the alleyway, oblivious to me standing a couple of metres away. I lowered Bella, and without another thought, I walked into the warehouse.

-

Not relating to the story at all but i love run by joji. or no distance left to run by blur. my music taste is a bit all over the place but i like it this way, it never gets boring