Chapter 2

The shadow of a person was walking towards him from the other end of the hallway. Kaden got a sudden urge to go back the way he came, but it was already too late. The expression on Ivan's face was now way too readable. Kaden froze up from their close proximity. That high and mighty smile really made him want to say something vile just to get rid of it.

     "Oh, right. You. I didn't make you want to quit yet?"

     Kaden's brows furrowed, too tense to formulate a proper response.

     "You are the fucking worst."

     Ivan's laugh was filled with spite.

     "So vulgar. What would your parents say?"

     Kaden's pupils thinned, before he shoved his way past Ivan. His brain was too muddled to let him respond with words. He looked back at Ivan's self-obsessed face, as he continued on in a hurry. Has he always been such a horrible person? How could he so casually dig at that wound?

     Kaden was appalled.

     It didn't end there. Every time they got even remotely close to each other, an impressive amount of spiteful words were exchanged.

     It had been a few days of the worst start to a job Kaden could have imagined. He was coming home particularly exhausted. Two lovely dogs awaited him, but right now even their energetic selves weren't enough to cheer him up. Though he did enjoy a quiet moment of just petting them.

     Afterward, Kaden picked up his phone, reminded of a certain card that was still in his pocket. With an exasperated sigh, he typed the number in and held the phone to his ear. The first thing he heard was loud music and a wealth of drowned-out voices. In the midst of that, a more recognizable voice spoke up.

     "Hello? Ah, sorry for all the noise. But then again, if you're just someone trying to sell me something ..."

     "Hey, Lyon. I had to know if you wanted to buy this new product we made."

     "Damn... I knew it." Lyon leaned against his phone with a grin.

     "So you were willing to risk hanging out with someone... and that one is me? I'm honored."

     "Wait, who said I was hanging out with you?" There was a hint of a challenge in those words, but Lyon was well prepared.

     "What if I gave you the address to this place, and waited outside for you?"

     Kaden rolled his eyes, not able to stop the smile creeping onto his face.

     "Ah... Caught me."

     "Your voice sounds strained. I assume you're still as stressed out as before. Come. It might be nice to unwind in some dumb club." Kaden—because, of course—was a bit stunned. Hearing that word come out of the already deeply voiced Lyon, was... something.

     "You recognize my view on that place already. Perceptive, are we?"

     "I try."

     They were both getting more comfortable with the conversation as it went on. Also, Lyon got to say the address at the end, before Kaden finally managed to put the phone back in his pocket.

     Despite the intense nightlife Kaden was headed for, there was still a tinge of excitement in him.

     There weren't any clubs that stood out along the street Kaden went down, so he was mostly looking for the person rather than the address.