Chapter 7

Aziel and Kane were intrigued by the new environment, having only been taken on walks near Kaden's house. They absolutely had to inspect every flower that lined the main road—the one leading to the entrance. Kaden found the outside to be more well-maintained than his own, though their houses were about the same size. At least, that was as much as he could gather. The building was mostly enveloped in darkness. He hadn't paid attention to the time, so it could be anything at this point.

     He tugged on the leash to bring the dogs to him. Lights came on behind the obscured windows that surrounded the front door. Lyon might have seen him coming since Aziel and Kane were making quite a commotion.

     Unsurprisingly, right when he knocked on the door, it instantly opened. Met with those friendly green eyes, Kaden let out a sigh of relief. Still held on a tight leash, Kane sped over to Lyon and looked up at him with big pleading eyes.

     "Someone's happy to see me." Lyon went to pet the collie's head, looking over at Kaden as he did.

     "Hey, I'm pretty happy too."

     Lyon kept gazing at Kaden, before walking over to him with an unnervingly smug expression.

     "Aw, you also want my attention?" Lyon patted the top of Kaden's head as he did with Kane, which earned him a glare from the other man.

     "You're truly unbelievable." Kaden chuckled, as he grabbed his wrist and pulled it down.

     "Alright alright, I'll be more serious."

     When Kaden let go, Lyon stepped back with a laugh. Shaking his head, Kaden looked back to where his car was.

     "Can I bring my things inside? It's just some clothes and food for the dogs."

     "Sure, let's get that done first."

     After everything was taken into the foyer, and the dogs had been let free, they both stood by and watched them.

     "So... I'd love to know what happened. If I may." Lyon walked further inside, taking a sharp right turn into a darker corridor. Kaden checked the entrance for its light switch. Once he saw it on the wall, he turned it off, before following Lyon.

     "Ivan... He broke in. ...He had a knife on him. I think he said it was the same model as the one from that day." When their eyes met again, Kaden could see the strained look on Lyon's face.

     "That's... insane. But you look okay. No wounds or anything. How's that?"

     With a smile, Kaden glanced at the German shepherd walking behind them.

     "You're lucky you've been behaving because I don't think you want to know what Aziel can do."

     Lyon looked at Aziel for a brief moment, scratching at his temple.

     "Though I can imagine your means are gruesome... Thank you for protecting Kaden."

     Kaden couldn't suppress the smile creeping onto his face.

     The next door they came across—Lyon pushed open. As they entered the room, Lyon walked further into the darkness and flicked on two switches. A dim light spread over large pillows and disheveled bedsheets, showing a restless evening. Headed in separate directions, the dogs scoured every inch of the room. Lyon sat down on the edge of the bed, looking up at Kaden.

     "Did more happen or do we move on?"

     Kaden sat down next to him. Letting out a sigh as he hit the mattress, and leaned against Lyon's shoulder.