Love Triangle

The exchange was to be made in three days

The exchange was to be made in three days. The past few days I had not been able to talk to Wilhelm much as he was busy with not only preparing for the exchange that was to take place but also for the quick transition that would happen afterward as much of the regiment was being moved towards Stalingrad. The war was still young and the German army very much had its hold on Stalingrad but the war was not progressing at the pace that they wanted. They wanted Moscow more than ever yet the long Russian winter was more so of their enemy than the allies.

The thought of only being with him for a few more days often made me feel sick and I would spend much of the time in the servant's quarters bathroom throwing up whatever I had managed to eat that day. I took consistent breaks from the kitchen much to Mrs. Pavlov's disliking whose eyes never seemed to be taken off me. I had lied to her explaining that my condition was caused by my monthly time and that I often suffered painful cramping.

After I served dinner to the Generalmajor and the other officers who were by a miracle not as needy tonight, I had dashed back to the servant's quarter, ignoring the worrisome looks of Wilhelm who clearly knew something was wrong. I had been avoiding looking at him all night. Looking at him made it worse at times and the last thing I wanted was to have a meltdown right before him and the other officers. I had a feeling that Wilhelm would find a way to sneak down to my room later tonight, inquiring to know what was the matter.

I had now been in the bathroom for nearly an hour with nausea that was so painful I could not stand up without the room spinning. A rapid knocking at the door made me groan at loud at the thought that the other person could not go try to find another place to go.

"Please Katja, I am sorry but I really must go. I have been holding for an hour and the last I want is to use the bathroom close to the kitchen where all the men still are," Clara begged outside the wooden door.

Understanding her concern, I slowly lifted myself off the tile floor and forced myself towards the door, gripping the handle and almost violently pulling it open.

"Dear God, what on earth is wrong with you?" Clara placed her hand on my forehead checking for a fever. I waved her hand off telling her not to worry and that it was simply something I had eaten.

"You better not be pregnant." She joked and started to laugh yet all I could do was glare at her as I stood before her half bent over clutching my stomach.

"That is not funny Clara" I breathed through my teeth trying to focus on my breathing and not on the churning that was happening in my stomach.

"Well, you never know. I am sure Winters has no problem with knocking you up."

Not being able to withstand her anymore, I shoved past her and started walking to my room until I heard the voice of Andrei.

"Katja?"

I mentally cursed. It was not that I did not want to see him, but it was more of the fact that I did not want him to know the reason why I was so sick.