The Bull

Dear Katja, I am intrigued yet not shocked by what you have done

Dear Katja,
I am intrigued yet not shocked by what you have done. Being such a ruckus and putting a pause in the perfect schedule of the German army. When I read your letter, I had a smile on my face the whole time. What I would do to see that scene for myself.
However, on a serious note, I have shown the letter to my father and have discussed in length with him about the prisoners of war. Fortunately I know how to manipulate him just correctly. I know for a matter of fact though that he would do anything for those men. My father hopes that you can talk further with the German army about specific details on when to do the exchange. Just let them know that we agree. You're in my best thoughts.
Much love,
Natasha

I stared at Natasha's quick letter that was posted about a week ago, coming from Moscow. How so much has changed since I wrote her that letter. If I told her now that I was practically a slave for the German army, she would come trotting all the way from Moscow with nothing but her purse and give the army their own version of hell. How I wish I had the guts of Natasha.

I placed the letter back into the envelope and slipped it into the pocket of my dress. I would show it to Wilhelm first. Maybe he could take it himself to the Gerneralmajor.

The new quarters that I lived in were colder than Wilhelm's room and obviously not as luxurious nor big. I slept on a small cotton mattress on the floor that had thick woolen blankets on it. There was a small stove in the room that I used in order to cook for myself and to heat the room. Other than that, there was a small desk and chair. The whole room was made of a dark and rich wood.

I had not seen Wilhelm since the night that I secretly met him by the old bakery, about a week ago. Rumor has it that the Generalmajor has him working like a dog. I made it a goal to try to find him today and just have a short minute with him to hand him the letter.

As for the Russians that still remained as hostages, they laid around lazily all day with that small burning hope that they could soon be set free and go back to Moscow. Andrei looked much healthier than when I first saw him as he managed to put on weight but he looked more tired everyday. I tried my best to cheer him up when I would see him after my day of work.

He was not happy at all with the new arrangements that I was given by the Generalmajor. I currently sat in front of him watching him as he shaved his beard that had grown on him wildly for the past few days. As he gazed into the mirror concentrating on what he was doing he kept rambling on about how I should have just avoided ever going into town when the Germans first started occupying. I felt like a child who sat shamefully in front of their parents being scolded.

"None of this would be happening if you just stayed in your house. You wouldn't be working for some German pig and none of this would have happened. You're just a stupid, foolish girl."

"Yes but without me you would not be here right now, would you?"

Andrei's jaw clenched at this as his eyes dug into my own liken razor blades as he stopped mid shave. He slightly looked like a madman as his eyes were hooded and his chin tucked downwards. No longer did he look tired, he looked crazy as well. However, I was no stranger to this.