Chapter 17: The W-Word

Christopher

I'm still trying to piece things together but Alec is staring at me, wide eyed and pale. The pain in my chest is killing me and I don't remember when I shifted back, but here I am, sitting surrounded in blood and blood-soaked gauze and blood-covered medical tools. The clinical room smells overpoweringly of me and the vet clinic and Alec's fear.

"Alec?"

Like a spell broken, I see Alec fall forward, bracing himself on the floor, hands spread. The sound and spell of vomit is unmistakable, then I see it everywhere. Alec starts to tip forward and my body moves on its own, getting a hand in between my mate's forehead and floor just in time. I catch Alec's body as it falls toward me, rolling him into my arms.

When I see his face, dirtied and unbelievably pale, Alec's eyes are closed. His pulse is beating harshly at the base of his throat but his breathing is steady.

"Alec? Alec!" No response. I take a look at the state he is in. His work clothes are dirtied as well as damp from sweat and my blood from the smell of it.

What happened? I was out in the field and I was struck with something. How long has it been?

I shift Alec to cradle him closer in my arms. Reed!

Christopher! Dammit, I've been trying to get a hold of you for the last ten minutes, I hadn't heard from you in almost an hour. We're heading over to the vet's, are you still there?

I'm here but turn everyone around back to the house now! I've got to contact my parents.

Got it.

Trusting Reed to get himself and the scouts back to the packhouse, I need to make sure the clinic is locked down. I can't leave Alec alone but his weight is barely anything in my arms as I lift him to bring him with me.

Leaving the surgery room the first thing I see is that the back door of the clinic is wide open. Scenting the air, I smell the only usual clinic's smells and the two of us. Hesitantly I sniff out the doorway. The scent of my blood is a lot less intense, mixed with the usual wild scents. No one else is still here.

I close the door clumsily while still holding Alec but there is only the deadbolt to lock it. Quickly, I head to the front and do the same. The glass doors and windows offer little protection but I feel better turning the lock in place. My eyes scan the view looking for any signs of life but thankfully there aren't any. I look down at Alec's face again, seeing that his pulse has slowed down to a more normal pace calms me very little.

Feeling too exposed up front, especially because I am still quite explicitly exposed, I head to Alec's office. Picturing Dad and Mom together in my head, I call out. Alpha and Mom.

Thank goodness! Reed said he was going to look for you when we couldn't reach you but he just said he's heading back now. Are you okay? My mother's worried voice speaks quickly.

I'm fine. I answer back. But I was attacked. I didn't see them, hell, I didn't even have time to react.

Where are you now? Dad's voice is more controlled, the Alpha at work, but still tinged with concern. I reach the office, entering and elbowing the door closed behind me. There's nowhere to lay Alec down, but I place him in one of the chairs, tipping his head against the backrest and placing the second chair under his feet and legs. Before continuing, I also close the blinds on the windows.

I'm at Alec's, in the clinic. I- I don't know what happened but I was hurt and Alec must have operated on me.

Operated! Mom's voice shook with doubled concern.