Chapter 1: Dessert

A/N: I am publishing this, the second book after An Idol for the Omega, despite still being in the middle of that story. This one will be a prequel about Alpha Christopher and his Luna, so you can get to know the characters a little more. I am still going to finish Idol first, then work on completing here.

Christopher

Mixing among the clinic's signature scent of animals and disinfectant is the heady scent of my mate. Mine. This small building is my new favorite place, as of last week. Especially, this spot right now, sitting across from my perfect, little mate. Mmmmm... so yummy.

Yummy and fierce. I'm still trying to figure out how someone so cute can produce such angry eyes. Not that anyone else notices, his little furrowed brow and beady glares seem to be specifically reserved for me. So adorable!

My new favorite hobby has been lingering around my mate's clinic during the day. I love how absorbed he gets with every new animal that walks in the door, taking time to greet, pet, rub and complement each one.

Thankfully, that level of friendliness is only for the animal clientele, his professional demeanor is just friendly and welcoming to all of the human owners. Its bad enough jealousy strikes my chest every time he runs his fingers through some mutt's coat or asks "Who's a good boy?" Pfft, I'm much better than some dog, he should check out my fur.

Thinking about those slim, competent fingers running along my body, in either of my forms, has me shifting slightly in my seat. Easy, boy! I need to take things slow. I seem to have started things off wrong since the first day I laid eyes on my mate.

When the news spread that Dr. Gaines had sold his practice, I'd just pictured another, gentling-aging vet that always smelled slightly of dog shampoo. Actually, when my warriors returned from patrol and reported that the expected new vet had arrived, I waited another day to investigate.

I know every person that lives in Shady Woods, the town encompassed in our Shady Range pack territory, probably better than they know me. If someone passes through and lingers for more than hour, they're on my list to check out. As the Alpha, I make the call of whether they are a threat to the pack or not.

While rogues are rare for a pack our size, I have the lives from the most elderly wolf down to the youngest pup on my shoulders, not to mention the human population and don't take a lot of chances.

I'd been covering for one of the warriors on night patrol for several nights already, their mate had recently, and safely, delivered twin pups. After patrol, I went straight to my office, desperately wanting to put my feet up and have a beer. Instead, I sat at my desk and made sure nothing had come up overnight.

Nothing had, but there were some financial reports I'd been working on the evening before and was soon fully immersed in pack business. When my Beta, Reed came into my office and pulled up short, I realized that most of the morning was gone.

"You didn't go to bed?" My second-in-command checked the time. "Are you planning on getting any sleep? You said Wes could be off for a few more nights."

"I planned on it and just sat down to take care of one thing and well..." I held my hands out, gesturing to the stacks of papers over the surface of the desk. Reed gets it, he knows how focused I can be. "Uh, did you need something?"

"I was just going to leave the mail on your desk." I glanced wearily at the large stack unceremoniously set on the desk. I went to reach for it, but he slapped his hand on top. "No disrespect, Christopher, but please go get some rest."

I leaned back again in my chair and looked over everything that was still left to do. Figuring it would be there still in six hours or so, I nod my agreement. Reed headed out, so I stretched and started to leave as well. A small post-it stuck to my monitor caught my attention, reminding me about the new vet.

Reed. Knowing the other man will already be on his way to the training field, I call him over the link. I'm just going to check out the new vet at Dr. Gaines' old place., it'll be closed if I put it off until later. I'll be back soon.

Yes, Alpha. Reed didn't argue with me, but I could hear the exasperation in his voice.

After patrol, I'd only gotten dressed in my shorts again so I quickly headed out of the pack house, stripping them off upon reaching the woods and tethering them to my leg. Shifting was over fast, my large paws hitting the dirt as I shook out my solid black coat.

I took the most direct route, the woods surrounding our pack house that lead to the field behind the clinic. I think to be accommodating for most of the town's population, many of which live outside of downtown, the vet practice was originally built slightly away from the busy roads. Running free like this, not having to check for unfamiliar smells or danger, was as relaxing as it was exhilarating. I felt my muscles stretch out and enjoyed my race against myself.

I really only needed to sniff around the new resident, but wanted to see what he looked like for future reference. I don't plan on shifting and I'm sure I can be stealthy enough to peek in through a window. Even assuming newcomers are human, I'll check the smells around them for anything that would pose dangerous to the community, like illegal drugs or other wolves.

I reached the edge of the woods quickly, where leaves and trees break into tall, flowing grasses. I know my way around Shady Woods for miles and miles and I let my inner wolf enjoy ducking and frolicking through the grasses, weeds and flowers that were growing in abundance in the late summer. My claws dug into soft dirt as I pushed myself faster.

Getting closer to the small structure on the other side of the field, I raised my head up to inhale the fresh air. I know the clinic takes up the larger, first floor, with a small apartment on the second floor. It has a simple parking lot attached and the narrow, paved road beyond that goes on for about two miles before merging into large streets.

As I neared that day, I expected the somewhat medical smell to hit first, followed by a whiff of every tomcat, dog and hairy creature that felt the need to mark the clinic since its re-opening. Instead of those invasive scents, a mouth-watering scent filtered toward me.

It smelled better than any dessert I'd ever eaten. A warm fragrance that made me think of flaky pastry, sweet chocolate and rich cream. It wasn't just that I wanted to taste it, I wanted to roll in it. Let it cover me and be the only thing I would smell for the rest of my life. Mixed along with this aroma is the unmistakable scent of human.

My mate!

There was no more enjoyment in the field, it was an obstacle separating me from my mate! I raced out of the tall grass, not even bothering to look around before shifting. Hastily pulling my shorts on while trying to run, I didn't stop for a second. I cleared the corner of the building and dazedly shoved my way through the door.

He was the only one there and, in what felt like slow motion, he looked up at me. His eyes were so large in his face, wide and innocent looking. The unique blue-gray color that reminded of me of water during a storm. It definitely drew me in in waves.

His hair was short, a light brown color. A lock of it waved over his forehead, making him look like a little kid. All of his features were obviously male, but still delicate.

He said something but I couldn't process the words. His voice was stronger than his looks hinted at, and I could recognize the concern in it. He stood up and came around the counter. I didn't dare to breathe as he stepped right up close to me.

Damn, he was small, the top of his head was below my chin. His eyes looked even wider, staring at me now with care. Again, he spoke, only this time he waved his hand in front of my face. His skin appeared soft, but his small hands looked capable.

This man was like a contradiction of terms. Delicate, but take charge. Soft, but competent.

And he was all mine.

"You." A whisper escaped me. "Are. So. Cute!"