Chapter 5: Shopping

Christopher

Well, brunch went better than I thought.

Alec's ire was completely soothed with a salmon omelet, bacon, and a side of fresh fruit. Maybe I got lucky or maybe food is the key. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.

We reached the large, furniture outlet just a little after they opened. Just walking in the door Alec grudgingly admitted that it's a much larger selection than he would have found in Shady Woods. My mate waved off the salesperson, saying that he wanted to browse first. I've following him through various displays, groups of furniture set up like little rooms.

It's very entertaining watching him. Currently, we're in a set up in a living room. Alec first stands in front, eyeing each piece closely. Sometimes, that's it and we move on. On this one, he approaches the couch and takes a seat.

I hide my smile as Alec sits first one way, then another. Crossing and uncrossing his legs, pulling them both up, sitting cross-legged. Then he stands up and flops down in the same spot, leaning different ways. He gets up again and does the same in the middle and at the other end of the couch. I'm not sure what he's looking for but I could watch him find it for hours.

That couch must not have what he wants because he gets up and heads to the next grouping of couches and chairs with me contentedly trailing after him. I see the same routine on this one too, only he must like it because he also lays down, stretching out his legs. He's so short, the whole length of his body fitting easily on the cushions. Alec wriggles around a little before closing his eyes and relaxing.

"What do you think about this one?" Alec's question surprises me. It's the first time he's spoken to me since we arrived, plus asking for my opinion to boot. My mouth opens but no words come out. I've never really given much thought to furniture, aside from whether it will hold my weight or not.

"Umm... " I mean, I think it looks good, but anything covered with Alec will look amazing to me. Especially the way he's relaxed and horizontal, making me want to crawl up next to him.

Alec sighs and sits up. "I think it's nice," he says ignoring me, "the fabric will stand up well, I like the color and it's in my price range. This is the one."

He was so serious it was adorable. I strode over and sank down onto the couch he chose, making sure not to crowd him. He's finally being tolerant of me and I don't want to scare him off.

"Awesome! Want me to get the salesperson?"

"Oh no, not yet. I still need a dining table and chairs as well as a bed and a mattress set. I don't like to be hovered over, so let's keep walking around. I think the dining rooms are over there." Alec points before getting up and heading in the new direction.

Frozen, my brain quit working at the word 'bed'. As in, Alec is going to crisscross and wriggle his way across a bed. While I get to watch. Oh, no! A boner in the car is one thing, but I can't get hard here.

Desperately, I try to think about the most un-sexy things I can. Budget reports. The Boston tea party. Telemarketing calls. Hamsters. Alec looks cute like a hamster. Alec rolling around on the bed again.

Aaarrgh! Screaming inside, I try to shake away that image. Okay. It's time to pull out the big guns. Think about when you saw Grandma shifting.

Okay, I'm good.

I stand up and hurry across the store to Alec, who has completely forgotten about me. He's going through the dining room setups, sitting in different chairs and walking around the tables. He very seriously studies each one before declaring that he doesn't like any of them.