Chapter 9: Luck

Christopher

"Ohmygod! Did you see it?  Did you see it?!"

"Yes, we saw. Please settle down, Alpha, you're driving." Dee lightly scolds from the passenger seat.

"Okay. Yes." Breathing out a breath of air, my focus turns to the task of heading home to the pack house. If I don't grip the wheel tightly my hands would be shaking in excitement. Even now, my palms still tingle from  the warmth of Alec's skin. My heat, a steady barrage of fireworks bursting in my chest.

It was incredibly hard to play it cool. It was difficult not to lean into Alec's relaxing form during the massage.  I wanted to wrap him in my arms and hold him until he fell asleep. To keep rubbing that soft skin and fluffy hair forever.  The presence of Reed and Dee kept me in check, along with the thin, tenuous trust Alec was placing in. "Amazing." I whisper to myself.

A slight chuckle pulls my mind from the distracting thoughts. "Look at you," Dee teases. "All grown up and wooing your mate. You got yourself a cute one, Alpha."

"I know, but do not call him cute to his face! Oh, and thank you, Dee. Alec really needs some help at the clinic.  I know you've already fully retired and I appreciate you willing to work."

"You don't need to thank me.  Alec is as good as part of the pack, besides I meant what I said. I'm not doing charity work, my time is valuable. He's seems like he's working hard and I know what a good vet means to the farmers in our community."

Pride and yearning both swirl in my chest hearing Dee call Alec part of the pack.  I knew she'd be right for the job since she was personal assistant to my dad for so many years.  Running our large company and large pack takes a sharp mind and crazy organization skills.  Dee's no-nonsense attitude will fit to a T alongside Alec's prickly and severe personality.

"He does work hard, its incredible.  I haven't seen it drag him down like it did today."

A snort comes from the back seat. "It didn't drag him down too much, he seemed feisty enough to be rude." Reed finally chimes in.

"He's still our future Luna, Reed." Dee beats me to the punch.  "From what I've heard, Christopher has had his hands full with dealing with him, but the mate pull can be a powerful thing.  I trust  our Alpha and Luna will be settled together soon.  Look at tonight, the Alpha sure had some luck."

"Luck? Did you not hear the fuckery today would have ended in if Christopher's mom hadn't finally shoved some sense into our dear Alpha's ass?"

"Marigold? No telling, if she got involved.  What happened earlier?"

"Tears, Dee. Tears."

I cringe at the way Reed described it, but it wasn't far from the truth.

It was after my beta dragged me away without being able to speak with Alec earlier. Reed's appearance played the part the I needed help lifting and carrying everything.  Even moving at a human's pace, the task was completed too quickly.

It was obvious Alec wasn't going to spare me a moment, even if he had one.  It looked like he had a killer headache too.  Every one of his winces sent an echoing pain through my chest.

Alec's apartment caused a spiral of joy and distress in me.  His heavenly chocolate and cream scent hung lightly in the air, only just starting to permeate the old wood floors and other furnishings.  The sight of blankets sprawled on the floor where he had obviously slept on the couch.  Everything else was neat and orderly, but no homey touches.  Hotel rooms are more welcoming.

Once home at the pack house, ignoring everyone else, I hauled the mattress and extra furniture into my suite.  Like an expecting mother, I shoved aside the living room furniture and built my nest, the offending mattress in the center.  The sight of it made me feel so embarrassed and guilty but it still smelled like Alec and it was all I had.