44. Chuck It

"Okay, so daddy said-" Thorin was currently explaining to Aegon that Thorin was in charge. But Thorin was going to be a big brother so he should probably practice on Aegon. Aegon wasnt two yet. He crawled and stumbled after Thorin everywhere. 

Rhae had explained that when his new baby brother or sister came they were going to love him too, chase after him, want to spend time with their awesome big brother.

So Thorin took better care of Aegon. He had to get used to it. 

"You are in the glowing phase, I feel more like the death state." Alicent remarked as she came up to Rhae. 

"Thats only because you are shorter than me, all stomach," Rhae offered.  "I feel like instead of the baby getting the food its all going to my thighs." 

"Even so gracious trying to make me feel better and not taking the compliment." Alicent mused. 

"Thank you." Rhae added. "ANd you dont look like death." 

"I feel it." ALicent murmured running a hand over her stomach. "But today is an exciting day. The announcement, the tourney." Alicent remarked happily. 

"I know Taelon wasnt thrilled about it." Rhae countered as they walked. 

"No?"

"The last tourney for..." Rhae stopped herself and ALicent nodded knowingly. "But his father wanted it."

"Is Taelon competing?" Alicent pondered. 

"Yes, him and Tommen are competing together." Rhae agreed. "Well not together but- you know what I mean."

"I do." Alicent agreed. "Pregnancy brain." Rhae nodded in agreement. 

"Lets hope todays tourney doesnt end the same as last time." Rhae offered. 

+

Taelon thought it was stupid. Father did you forget you hosted a tourney for mother as she birthed a son and then died! Taelon wanted to shout it again and again but Viserys wasnt listening. 

"Alicent and Rhae are pregnant it is the perfect time." Viserys countered. "Honor them both." 

Taelon agreed, not that he had a choice but mainly because Rhae and Alicent were not far enough long yet, they wouldnt be birthing anyone into the world today. 

Taelon half expected Daemon to show up and that made him anxious. daemon had been fighting at the step stones, Taelon didnt even know if Daemon knew. But then again how could he not? How could be not know? 

"You alright?" Tommen questioned and Taelon's shoulders stiffened at the touch. "Whats wrong?" Tommen countered. 

"I dont like this." Taelon admitted. 

"Cancel it. Fuck this place." Tommen offered. 

Tommen had never seen Taelon so worried. When a fighters mind wasnt clear, it put them in danger, left them open for mistakes, mistakes could be deadly. 

"Shake it off, shake it off." Tommen instructed giving his shoulders a shake. Taelon let out a deep breath as he shook out his arms and legs. "You good?" 

"Lets get this over with." Taelon agreed. 

"That is the spirit!" Tommen agreed. 

No one was surprised that Taelon won the first bout and came up asking Rhae for her favor. 

"What about me?" Thorin questioned. "Am I not special?" Rhae looked between them a laugh on her lips. Tommen snorted a laugh. 

"Prince Thorin," Taelon began again. 

"I dont want pity." Thorin corrected. 

"Yes you do, milk it!" Tommen corrected shouting back at them. 

"My favorite boy, can I have your favor?" Taelon questioned. 

"I dont have a favor." Thorin corrected. "Can you get me a cookie though?" Taelon snorted a laugh as he nodded. 

"Can you give daddy my favor?" Rhae questioned handing it to Thorin. He took it from her staring down at it. He jumped off her lap and threw it down. 

"The future of the seven kingdoms right there." Tommen mused. Taelon leaned over grabbing it before it hit the ground. 

"Thank you my wonderful wife and charming son." Taelon declared, Rhae smiled back down at him. 

"Did I do it right?" Thorin questioned as Rhae pulled him back to her. 

"Perfect." Rhae lied. But it was perfect. 

"Can I throw another?" Thorin questioned. 

The next night asked for Rhaenyra's favor and Thorin jumped up running to block her. 

"I do it?" Thorin begged reaching for it. Rhaenyra smiled down at him as she handed it over. "Here!" Thorin shouted jumping as he threw it. It landed on the ground, the knight stared back at Thorin annoyed. 

"Shit reflexes that one has, he will never win." Tommen remarked. 

"You going to catch it when Thorin chucks it down?" Taelon countered and Tommen pursed his lips. 

"Thats not the point we are talking of others failures not my own to come." Tommen remarked. 

Round after round, bout after bout and Taelon was having deja vu. Tommen walked back to him favor caught proudly in his hand after Thorin really whipped it down. Rhae smiled down at Taelon but she saw his clenched jaw, handsome features pinched. Taelon ran a hand over his face, and when he saw the maester come up behind his father in the viewing box, it was all too much. Taelon got knocked down in the third bout. 

Harwin stared back at him as he dismounted. Everyone knew Harwin was a great fighter but Taelon was better.

"Good job Strong." Taelon said shaking Harwins hand. 

"What the hell was that?" Tommen questioned as Taelon walked off. 

"That was great." Rhae assured as he came up sitting beside her. 

"No it wasnt." Taelon corrected wrapping an arm around her, Thorin jumped up in his lap. "But I like this spot better." Taelon glanced back at his father. "Why was Mellos here?" 

"Nothing you need to worry about." Viserys assured him. "Good work today." Taelon let out a sigh as Rhae tipped her head into his. 

"I'm proud of you." Rhae assured. "You could have lost in the first round and I would be proud of you though." She added kissing his cheek. 

"Uncle Tom is fighting the bear." Thorin declared standing up in Taelon's lap. "GET THE BEAR!" Thorin declared jumping up and down on Taelon's thighs. 

Tommen vs Harwin. 

"Come on STRONG!" Taelon hooted. 

"It is implied that Taelon is talking to me." Tommen assured Harwin. 

"I know, which is why beating your ass is going to be so damn fun." Harwin agreed. 

"Rude." Tommen murmured.