Chapter 3

At the police station

“Detective …” I raised my head and tossed my paper work aside. 

“Yes yes enter please. Do I seem to have a new case?” 

“Yes here” he handed me the file. 

“Interesting thank you” I said while reading through it. 

“Do you perhaps know who his psychiatrist is? I only got her first name.” 

“Uhm, oh yeah, Davis, Annie Davis.” 

“Good, good. Thank you. I'll go take a look at the scene tomorrow. For now I'll make a board out of this.” I said pointing to the small file on my desk. Hopefully it will be fuller in a couple of weeks, I thought to myself hoping we would find more clues and bring some light on this case. I took a look at my board before opening the file and getting out everything I needed. I took the picture of James, and pinned under ‘Prime Suspect’, started to make some post-its of my predictions. ‘Revenge?’ ‘Failed escape?’ I pinned them under the picture and stared at it. He had already confessed, but his doctor keeps trying to convince everyone wrong. I took her picture and pinned it under ‘accomplice?’ I really didn’t have a lot for now. I only know that Annie has been working on James' case for a full year now and that he rarely, or more like barely made any progress. Chances are, she’s trying to cover up for him by leading us the wrong way. I sighed and put my head in my hands. This was going to be a long and hard investigation. I made a small list of things to do about it, ‘Check camera footage, if there’s any’, ‘Interrogate everyone who was present that night, including Annie even if she wasn’t’, ‘Go visit the crime scene’, ‘Analyze any possible evidence’. I put my pen away and closed back the file, putting it in my drawer before getting out of my office.

“Blake?” I called out to my colleague.

“Yes sir?” 

“Bring me anything you can possibly find about…”

“On it” he answered simply before walking off. I looked around and smiled politely at my captain. 

“Crane, do you have anything new about your case?” he asked

“Not yet captain, but count on me to get to the bottom of it. Do we need to bring the suspect into custody so he doesn’t hurt anyone else?” I asked him, thinking it would be safer. 

“No, we can’t risk that, anyways he’s in a straightjacket 24/7 until this case is closed, you’re one of my best, don’t mess this up ok?” I gave him a small nod and he patted my shoulder before walking away. It’s stressful at times to do this job, but I’m willing to do anything to bring justice, it's the first reason I decided to get this job. To make sure justice was brought and that the city could be a little more safer with one more detective. If justice meant staying at work late or letting this case occupy my mind every single day, I was more than willing to make the sacrifice.  

“Ah, Blake, there you are, one more minute and I would've thought you got lost.” I joked as he brought me a box filled with papers and files.
“This is everything I was able to find.” he said simply.
“Good job, by the way it’s time for your break, go eat and relax a little, you’ve had a long day” I said dismissing him. He nodded and wandered off to god knows where. I took a closer look at the box slowly getting out all of what was inside and discarding the box on the floor. I scattered the files and papers strategically on my desk to be able to look through all of them one by one. I took the first one and started looking through the pages quickly, nothing quite interesting, not to this investigation, to say the least.

***

A few hours had passed since I started working on the information of the victim. He was only 32, married with two kids and no criminal record. He seemed like a good person, the type of guy to live a calm and peaceful life with no problem. I’ll have to interrogate his close ones as well. There wasn’t much information about him, only an empty criminal record, his birth certificate, his essential information and his old report cards. I sighed. ‘Why do the victims always have to be good innocent people?’ I thought to myself, life is never fair, but some people take for granted the chance they have. I don’t, I never did and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to. I started to get lost in my thoughts, of how much life had been good to me, but it has made me see many atrocities.

I checked the time, 9 PM, time to clock out. I put everything back in place and cleaned my office quickly before getting my things and clocking out for the rest of the night. As I walked back to my car, I thought of the report cards, there were old art work stapled with them. It seemed to have been taken straight out of a nightmare. I shuddered and got into my car. Giving the building a last glance, I drove away.