22- Start of a New Era

(A/N) Last big time skip, but we are fully into the war so be prepared.

July 1st, 1978

The marauders finished their last ever day of school and reaped mayhem. Sirius had the time of his life setting off the last marauders prank ever at Hogwarts. They couldn't expel him after he had already graduated so they set off massive amounts of fireworks and cast giant fiery lions to run around the school for gryffindor. They were harmless of course, but the students cheered as they entered the Hogwarts express for the last time. His friends, Remus, James, Peter, Lily, Marlene and Mary all crammed into one compartment on the way to London. I was the last time they ever would, and despite the sadness of leaving, they were all excited to enter the real world.

Peter had a job at the ministry lined up in the department of transportation dealing with portkeys, Mary was joining the daily prophet, Marlene was going to healer training, Lily was going to be working under Fleamont Potter in potion research. James was ecstatic about that fact his dad and girlfriend got along. Marlene, Mary, and Peter were all planning on continuing to live with their parents, James and Lily had found a flat to fit them and Remus and Sirius were using money from Uncle Alphard to buy a flat in London as well. It was the only thing those two had figured out.

Each of them had a conversation with Dumbledore before leaving Hogwarts about joining the order of the Phoenix, and while the girls and Peter had jobs lined up to work alongside the order, James, Sirius and Remus wanted to devote everything to the order. James and Marlene were both offered spots on various quidditch teams, but neither felt like playing the sport in the middle of a war they could fight. Remus could not find many good jobs with his werewolf status and Sirius didn't know what he was interested in besides the war.

The first letter they each received from Dumbledore read:

Potter's, Tuesday 2 o'clock.

Simple.

"JAMES FLEAMONT CHARLUS POTTER, get your arse down here now!" Effie yelling up.

James was fucked. That was the first thing Sirius thought. He had never heard his best friend four named before. He had never heard Effie angry before.

James crept down the stairs carefully, Sirius at his heels wondering what was going on. In the sitting room, Effie was waving a letter frantically.

"Sirius, yes you should join us as well." Effie waved to two seats in front of her. "I just happened to receive a letter from Albus saying that the next Order meeting was at our house. That is common, only while you are at school. So I wrote him back, and he told me that the two of you supposedly joined."

"Not supposedly, we did." James said firmly. He looked to his dad for help, but Monty did not try to help his son.

"Why?" Effie said "You just left school, you have a life to live."

"I want to fight." James said.

"We both want to fight." Sirius spoke up from beside James. "It's my family out there causing this. I deserve to fight against this."

"Lily is a muggleborn, they want to kill her, I want to marry her one day, I'll fight so she gets to live her life."

"Because we have the chance to change everything for everyone, I'm taking that chance." Sirius finished for James.

"It's a war out there. You two are very brave but that won't keep you alive." Effie argues.

"We know that mum! But this is what we want to do, you can't stop us." James pleads.

Effie sighs and takes a deep breath, closing her eyes. "You're right, I can't stop you. But I beg of you two to look at your future-"

"I can only see a future if this war is over. I'll focus on living when we've won." James said, not budging, Sirius nodding along next to him.