Chapter 2. 1814 

Three hours into the ball, Charlotte stepped into the center of the room. It was time to announce who the Diamond was going to be. She cleared her throat to get everyone's attention. "Ladies and gentlemen, I believe it's time I make the much anticipated announcement of the evening."
Clara Penelope Stephanie and the rest of the young debutantes held their breath. This was it, the moment of truth. Who had the queen chosen? Which young lady was going to have the pleasure, or the distaste, of dancing with the single gentleman in the room?
Charlotte addressed the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, after carefully analyzing each young lady that was presented to me over the course of the last hour, I have finally made my decision on who I have chosen as my Diamond."
Every pair of eyes was focused on the queen. Every heart was fluttering like butterfly wings. No one moved a muscle.
Charlotte. "The Diamond of the season is Miss  Clara Dalton."
Clara stopped breathing. She stood frozen, her heart fluttering. She had been chosen to be the Diamond. Ignoring the titters of disapproval from the other mothers behind her, she moved slowly forward and dropped into a curtsy in front of the queen.
Smiling softly, Charlotte placed a small diamond tiara on top of Clara's head. Then she turned her eyes to the rest of the crowd. "Stop your glowering ladies, this is an evening of celebration.Let's enjoy it."
Penelope and Stephanie came up to Clara as the rest of the guests moved to find their respectable partner. Both of them had hatred blazing in their eyes. It was clear neither of them found their cousin worthy.
Penelope. "It had to be you, didn't it? The queen just had to pick you and not us."
Stephanie. "We are just as lovely as you, if not more so."
Charlotte. "The two of you are lovely, but you do not possess the beauty inside that your cousin possesses. When I am looking for my Diamond, i'm not simply looking for appearances. I am also looking for the beauty of the heart."
Penelope. "But your majesty..."
Charlotte held up one hand. "Miss Penelope Dalton, I suggest you and your twin sister make the most of your evening."
Penelope and Stephanie glanced at each other, both of them becoming very intimidated by the queen. Swallowing nervously, they turned and walked away, glaring at Clara as they went. They would make sure they found proper husbands.
Charlotte smiled at Clara. "My dear, I do believe the first eligible bachelor has come to ask you for a dance."
Turning her head, Clara noticed a young gentleman with dark brown hair and brown eyes smiling at her and extending his hand. She took it gladly, wanting to dance with as many gentlemen as possible. She was wanting to find herself a husband by the end of the social season, but she was wanting to be married for love. Not obligation.
***
Another two hours went by before Clara finally had a chance to breathe and rest her feet. She had danced with several gentlemen, three of which had filled up her dance card. A fourth gentleman had filled her fourth dance card slot, another Viscount.
Clara tried not to roll her eyes. She had danced with a captain, a lieutenant, an earl, two barons, and was about to dance with her second Viscount. She had also danced with a marquis as well. But the one gentleman of status that she hadn't danced with yet was a duke.
Olivia walked up to her daughter and hugged her. "You look tired my love."
Clara. "I'm all right mother. It's just that... I have not danced with a gentleman who I find myself drawn to. These gentleman who I have danced with are handsome, and well mannered of course. But I am not feeling the connection that you and father did."
Olivia. "You will find that special gentleman soon enough. Maybe when you least expect it."
Clara was about to answer, when she noticed the Viscount who had signed her dance card making his way toward her. Giving him a soft smile, she took his hand and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor. She was hoping her mother was right and that she was going to meet her future husband soon.
Once the country dance came to an end 30 agonizing minutes later, Clara excused herself from Viscount Tiffany's embrace. She needed some air. The room was very stifling. Stepping away from the dance floor, she turned and started walking toward the double doors leading out onto the terrace.
Stepping outside, Clara took several deep inhales of fresh air. Her feet were beginning to hurt, and she was growing exhausted. But she was having a wonderful time as well. Moving toward the balcony overlooking the Windsor castle garden, she leaned against the rail.
Suddenly, the double doors opened again, and Clara noticed Viscount Richard Tiffany stepping outside. She swallowed hard as she noticed his blue gray eyes staring right at her. Good Lord, what did he want?
Richard. "Miss Dalton, I was wondering if I could have the last dance of the evening."
Clara shook her head. "I'm sorry my Lord, but I am saving the last dance for someone else."
Richard stepped toward her. "And who would that be?"
Clara tried to think of a gentleman, but came up blank. She didn't know any of them. She swallowed hard. "I don't remember his name my Lord."
Richard smiled deviously, grabbing her by the shoulders and throwing her against the marble pillar. "Then it doesn't matter does it? No other gentleman is going to want you after I have my way with you."
Clara became pale. "What are you doing?"
Richard ran his fingertips across her neck, then moved down to her left breast. "Showing you exactly what a young lady like yourself deserves."
Clara struggled against him, trying to push him away. "Let go of me!"
And then, before Richard had any time to react, Clara threw her right fist forward and punched him square in the face. His eyes rolled back into his head and he fell to the ground. He didn't move, just lay still.
Clara gasped, her heart pounding and her hands shaking. What the bloody hell had she just done? What had nearly happened to her?
A warm and soft voice spoke from behind her. "Well done, I was wondering when someone was going to knock some sense into that bastard."