Chapter 5. 1814 

That same evening, after she was bathed and changed into a nightgown, Clara curled up in her bed and removed the invitation and other piece of paper from the envelope the Duke of Devonshire had given her. She smiled as she saw the elegant and elaborate invitation addressed to her and her mother for Anthony's ball the following evening. She was very much looking forward to going, she had the perfect gown in mind to wear for the occasion.
Placing the invitation onto her nightstand, Clara turned her attention to the other piece of paper. It was a single sheet of paper, written in a very elegant yet masculine hand. Her heart started fluttering as she read what was written.
Lovely hair of dark red curls.
Sparkling eyes of diamond blue pearls.
A smile that shines like starlight.
You fill my heart with delight.
You are my sweet dear one.
When we met, I was undone.
It is you that I adore.
Today, and forever more.
Clara felt her eyes overflow with tears as she stared at the poem before her. She recognized that the elegant handwriting was none other than Anthony's. It was the same handwriting as the invitation. She couldn't believe what she had just read. Anthony adored her. Her, and no one else. Feeling a ribbon attached to the poem, she flipped the piece of paper over and found a dance card with a dusty pink silk ribbon attached to it.
Clara smiled as she saw that the first set of dances, as well as the last set of dances, had the initials AC in their squares. Her heart started dancing with joy. The Duke of Devonshire had already claimed her for the first and final dance of his ball. Carefully removing the card from the poem, she placed both items onto the nightstand, blew out her candle, snuggled beneath her covers, and fell asleep.
***
The evening of the ball came before Clara could blink an eyelash. She was anxious to see Anthony again, excited at the prospect of dancing with him for two hours. She was hoping, of course, that the two of them could have a little more privacy during the evening.
Olivia. "My dearest Clara, you look absolutely stunning."
Clara felt stunning. She was wearing an elegant gown of dusty blue silk with off the shoulder sleeves a sweetheart neckline and cream silk gloves. The back of the gown was composed of a corset. Her hair was fixed into a lovely side bun with curls swirling along her left shoulder. A pair of blue diamond combs were placed in the center of her bun.
Olivia placed the dance card onto Clara's left wrist. "I still cannot believe that his grace has already secured the first and final dances of the evening with you."
Clara. "That's not all he has done mother."
Olivia raised one eyebrow. "What do you mean?"
Clara picked up Anthony's poem and showed it to her mother. "He wrote this for me."
Olivia read the poem once, and then twice. Her eyes overflowed with tears of happiness as she stared at her daughter. "Oh my darling, you do realize what this means do you not?"
Clara smiled brightly. "I do indeed mama. I believe the Duke of Devonshire is quite smitten with me."
Olivia. "Do you feel the same for him?"
Clara considered her mother's words. She did feel very much attracted to Anthony. Did she however adore him? Remembering the words that the Duke had written to her, she smiled. "I do feel the same feelings for him mama."
Olivia smiled and hugged her tightly. "Well my dear, I do believe it has become love at first sight for the two of you."
Clara. "How do you know it has?"
Olivia. "Because your father and I had the same experience. It was love at first sight for the two of us as well."
The two of them exchanged another tight embrace before making their way to the carriage that was waiting for them downstairs. Climbing inside and settling back against the tufted seat, they instructed the driver to take them to Carlisle Hall. It was quite clear to both of them that the Duke of Devonshire and miss Dalton had very strong feelings for one another. And those feelings would be revealed sooner rather than later.
Arriving to Carlisle Hall 20 minutes later, Olivia and Clara stepped out of their carriage and walked up the three stone steps to the front door of the estate. The exterior of the house was composed of dark gray lime stone with a wooden door. Light blue trim cascaded along the windows and roof. They were escorted inside by the butler.
The interior of the majestic home was composed of cream walls trimmed with gold, along with a dark red marble floor. Several young ladies and gentlemen had gathered in the parlor, waiting to be escorted into the ballroom. The young ladies had their mothers or chaperones with them.
Scanning the group of guests, Clara noticed that several young ladies had either cream or white gowns. Some had peach or pink ensembles, but very few. She also realized that she was the only one wearing blue. Her heart flutter as she saw the doors to the ballroom open, and melted at the sight of Anthony stepping into the parlor.
Anthony was looking dashing in his three-piece black silk suit Dusty blue button up shirt matching cravat black boots and white gloves. His dark green eyes traveled along the group of guests, searching for his beloved. When he saw her, a broad smile broke across his face. Moving through the crowd, he acknowledged his guests one by one.
As he drew closer, Clara felt her heart beginning to flutter like wild butterfly wings. She realized that Anthony was going to escort her into dinner. Would she be sitting beside him?
Anthony smiled at her, taking her gloves fingertips into his and brushing his lips against her knuckles. "You look ravishing."
Clara returned his smile. "Thank you your grace, and you look very dashing."
His eyes bright with excitement, Anthony looped her hand through his elbow. "Come, dinner is about to be served."
With that, they lead the way into the dining room.