Chapter 7. 1814 

Lord Anthony Carlisle, the Duke of Devonshire, wasn't normally one for violence. He never raised a harmful hand to his brother or sisters. He didn't even raise his voice. But at that moment, he was wanting nothing more than to rip Christopher Dalton apart.
Christopher turned his attention to the Duke. "My sincerest apologies for my niece. She can be a bit dramatic."
White hot rage boiling inside him, Anthony grabbed the gentleman by the scruff of his neck and threw him against the wall. His face was inches away from Christophers, his dark green eyes blazing like flames. "How dare you treat her so poorly! She is not worthless! She deserves everything that life has to offer!"
Christopher struggled against his grasp. "She does not! She has been a nuisance in my life since the day I married her mother"
Anthony glared at him. "What do you mean?"
Christopher pushed him away. "My older brother Arthur died of a heart attack five years ago. Which gave me the opportunity to marry his wife and inherit all of his riches. Thankfully, my brother didn't have a son, so everything has gone to me. And, of course, my beautiful daughters are going to have the finest jewelry they could ever imagine. And they already have received quite a bit."
Anthony took a step back, not wanting to strangle the man even further. "And what about Clara?"
Christopher burst out laughing. "Clara? That girl doesn't get anything from me. She's not my daughter."
Anthony's mouth dropped at the cruelty that Christopher Dalton was giving to his niece. "She is a part of your family!"
Christopher rolled his eyes. "Yes yes I know, but she is not my flesh and blood. Penelope and Stephanie are."
His body scorched with fury, Anthony turned and followed Clara into the garden. He didn't want to stick around and continue talking with Christopher. If he did, he knew he would strangle the bastard.
Hearing the sound of sniffling a few minutes later, Anthony found Clara seated under a canopy of roses. Her head was in her hands, her shoulders shaking. He moved toward her, sitting down beside her. Without even thinking, he brought her into his arms and held her close.
Clara hugged him for several minutes, trying to compose herself. Her uncle had treated her so poorly in front of the man she had a very strong desire for. She couldn't believe he had called her worthless, had said she deserved nothing. Of course, that hadn't been the first time Christopher had told her those things.
Anthony came away after a few moments, holding her face between his hands. "You are not worthless. You deserve everything."
Clara. "I'm so sorry that you had to hear my uncle say those things to me."
Anthony. "I'm sorry to say this, but your uncle is a bastard. He has no respect for women, except his daughters."
Clara. "What you heard him tell me tonight is just one of many instances where he has insulted me. He has told me over and over again that I am nothing to him. He has told me so over the course of the last five years. He treats me as if I am a servant and not a part of his family."
Anthony's eyes widened. "You must be joking."
Clara shook her head. "Unfortunately I am not. I am also sad to say that the pain of the last five years goes much further back."
Anthony caressed her cheek. "He's hurt you when your father was alive."
Clara. "Ever since I was a child, my uncle always thought me inferior to his daughters. Penelope and Stephanie were treated as princesses, and I was given nothing. I believe my uncle was jealous of my father because he was the older of the two of them. When my father died, my uncle jumped on the chance to secure my father's money for himself. Ever since then, I've been treated as nothing more than a house pet."
Anthony shook his head with discussed. How could someone treat their own family member as nothing more than a servant? He took her hands, his eyes still glued with hers. "Let me assure you that from now on, you are going to be treated as a noble woman. You are going to be treated as a duchess. You are going to receive nothing but love tenderness compassion and everything else that I can give you."
Clara felt her heart stop. Her eyes started watering as she realized the significance of Anthony's words. She was going to be his wife.
Anthony squeezed her hands. "We must be married so that no scandal comes to our names."
Clara gazed into his eyes, realizing they had no other choice. With her freehand, she reached up and caressed his cheek. "Do you believe we can draw up a special license?"
Anthony smiled, taking her hand that was caressing his cheek and kissing it. "I believe that can be arranged. I do need to get you a ring first. And we must tell your mother of what has happened."
Clara nodded. "Why don't we go tell her now? Before my uncle does."
Anthony. "I believe that is a wise idea."
Rising to their feet, they walked back into the ballroom. Finding Olivia speaking with a few other women, they took her aside and told her everything that happened. They watched her expression go from surprised to horrified and then to joy.
Clara. "You're not angry mama?"
Olivia shook her head, hugging her clothes. "Not at all my darling. I am incredibly happy that you found someone. I only wish that it was under different circumstances, but at this point there's no other option."
Anthony. "I can speak to the queen tomorrow and see if she can help draw up a special license. Once that is finished, Clara and I can be married as soon as next week. Or next month."
Olivia. "Next week might be more sufficient your grace. That way there is no scandal, and you won't have to deal with her uncle."
Clara. "Why don't we wait until next month to be married? That way we can plan a few things."
Anthony. "Whatever you would like."
Soon it was decided that the wedding would take place the following month. It would give plenty of time for the special license to be drawn up, the ring and gown to be purchased, and other preparations  to be made.