Chapter 17. 1814 

Anthony came away, his eyes glowing. "You are quite the vixen my love."
Clara giggled. "And you are quite the rake my dear. I just hope that was satisfactory enough for you."
Anthony caressed her cheek. "It was more than satisfactory. It was perfect. And for that, I must thank you."
Clara. "And just how do you plan to do that?"
Anthony smiled deviously. "I will show you when we get to our chamber."
Exchanging a deep and passionate kiss, they quickly straightened themselves and moved to their chamber. Once the door was closed, they removed one another's clothing and made love again and again. There was more than enough pleasure to satisfy them for the remainder of the night.
***
The next day, the day of Penelope's ball, Anthony and Clara decided to go for a horseback ride. They were wanting to spend the remainder of their honeymoon together before being swept up into the social season again. There was the rest of May, all of June and all of July. They knew that, once they walked into yet another ballroom, they wouldn't have the opportunity to be alone.
While Anthony went to go get the horses ready, Clara rifled through her closet of clothes, trying to figure out what to wear. She decided on a pair of white trousers with dusty blue ruffles at the bottom of the legs and a matching dusty blue corset style jacket. Once she was dressed, she examined her self in her mirror and was pleased that what she saw. She did have a magnificent body, as Anthony had, repeatedly, pointed out to her.
Sliding into a pair of matching dusty blue short boots, Clara fixed her hair into a chignon and stepped out of her chamber. She smiled as she saw Anthony mounting the last step toward the landing."What do you think your grace?"
Anthony's eyes traveled down her body, and he smiled with approval. "You look stunning my love."
Clara blushed a soft pink, her eyes traveling down his body. He was wearing a similar outfit to hers, except his boots were tall and brown, and his jacket was blac. She smiled. "Thank you darling, and you look dashing."
Anthony. "Thank you. The horses have been prepared for us."
Clara. "Wonderful!"
Their fingers immediately becoming intertwined, they walked downstairs and out to the stables. Mounting their horses, they took off through the countryside. The day was beautiful, not a cloud visible in the bright blue sky. After several minutes of galloping, they came to rest at a magnificent hill overlooking the city.
Clara gasped quietly, noticing the breathtaking flowers that seem to spring up along every inch of the hill. "This is beautiful."
Anthony dismounted his horse, helping her off of hers. "This hillside was where my mother and father came whenever they wanted to be alone."
Clara. "I don't blame them, it's a beautiful area."
Anthony removed a picnic basket from his saddle. "Not only is it a beautiful location, but it brought my mother and father good luck."
Clara glanced at him curiously. "How so?"
Anthony smiled. "Well, let me simply tell you that whenever my mother and father came to this hillside, my mother always became with child."
Clara's eyes widened, but then she returned his smile. "Are you suggesting that the two of us make love on this Hillside your grace?"
Anthony. "Do you object to doing so?"
Clara giggled. "Not at all. However, I am to receive my courses tomorrow, so maybe we should pause our passion for a moment."
Anthony nodded. "Of course, I don't mind waiting until you are better."
Kissing sweetly, they put together their picnic, which consisted of sandwiches scones and a steaming tea pot with two tea cups. Placing the deep red silk picnic blanket onto the grass, they settled down onto it and enjoyed their picnic. Peace was upon them, but they knew that piece wouldn't last for very long. After finishing their meal, they mounted their horses once again and continued their ride. After an hour, they made their way back to Chatsworth.
***
Later that afternoon, while Anthony was taking care of paperwork, Clara and Stephanie took tea in the breakfast room. Both of them had no idea how that evening's ball was going to go, much less how Penelope was going to act as the new Viscountess Grafton.
Stephanie poured herself a cup of tea, mixing it with cream. "Knowing my sister, I have a feeling she is going to be very bold with her actions and her words."
Clara sandwiched her scone, which was filled with cream and berries, together. "I hope she doesn't embarrass us. She doesn't believe that her words are hurtful to others."
Stephanie took a bite from her own scone. "No she doesn't. And I don't want her saying anything terrible about you. You are the Duchess of Devonshire, the highest ranking noble woman underneath a queen and princess. You deserve respect."
Clara smiled softly. "Thank you Steph, and you do as well. I don't want her interfering with you and George. The blooming romance that the two of you have is beautiful."
Stephanie smiled, blushing. "Clara, I absolutely adore that man. He is so sweet and so kind. And he is very talented with French. Not to mention that he is a wonderful poet."
Clara. "Is he? And here I believed Anthony was the poet of the family."
Stephanie giggled. "It seems both brothers have a way with words."
Clara. "They certainly do."
They enjoyed their afternoon tea while continuing to chatter about Anthony and George. Both of them were madly in love with their respected partners, and knew that the feeling was reciprocated. They were hoping and praying that Penelope wouldn't ruin anything for them.