#86

A wild discussion in the projector room was suddenly stopped. Leo, Mikey and Raph had been arguing with their father about whether Leo should build a portal that would take them to Shiro and Donnie. April was busy stopping Casey from taking her to the hospital. She felt miserable, her hands were shaking, she couldn't concentrate anymore.

The turtles had no idea what awaited them on the other side. They were badly injured. It was a completely stupid idea!

Something in the three brothers tore apart.

They all felt a sudden emptiness inside. All eyes widened.

Leo turned and, without another word, swung his Katana and hobbled through the blue glow. His two brothers followed him without hesitation.

The black magic of Shiro's mother had disappeared with her death, and so the three brothers found themselves surprised only a few meters away from Donnie and Shiro. The environment was still oppressive, the dust whirled up, the ground was destroyed and torn open in many places.

But they didn't see it. They only saw Donnie and Shiro. And when they saw their brother, they knew what had happened.

They walked and hobbled to him.

Donnie was sitting cross-legged on the floor, he had Shiro in his arms, holding her tightly to his plastron. His head was bowed down to her, but sensing his brothers' presence, he looked up at them.

Not a word could be said. A nameless sadness gripped them all.

Leo desperately felt inside himself. Waited for the twitch in his chest, the tug that assured him she was still there.

But there was only emptiness, a black abyss that yawned in front of him and threatened to swallow him and his twin.

Leo fell to his knees in front of Donnie, no longer feeling the pain of his wound. His brother's expression was unbearable, they looked at each other. Leo put his hand on Donnie's shoulder and his other hand on Shiro's head.

Beside them, Mikey and Raph appeared, kneeling down, their hands finding the twins.

Leo and Donnie looked down at Shiro. She was gone.

They closed their eyes.

Their marks started to glow, and every single one of them wished nothing more at that moment than that she would come back. To undo her death. It just seemed so wrong to them on every level.

Donnie sensed his brothers. The connection to them. The trust they gave him. He felt the connection to Leo, which seemed strong and old to him at that moment. Their energies, the interaction of which radiated a balance, which now gave him the certainty that he could rely on him.

At that moment, he saw the orb before his inner eye.

It was white and purple, pulsing inside him.

He heard her words in his mind.

"As long as we keep it, we won't lose each other, Donnie.”

An impulse grabbed him, and he let his consciousness fall into the glow of the orb.

Everything went white.

"Donnie?!"

"Donnie, oh my god!"

"NO! Donnie!!"

“OH SHIT, LOOK…!”

"You three…"

Three brothers snapped their heads around. Baron Draxum stood before them, badly injured but full of authority

"You have to be quick now!"

It was relatively quiet that night in the emergency room at Queens Hospital in New York. There had been a couple of broken bones, a drunk rioter with cuts on his arm, and a kid with a concussion. The ER waiting room was otherwise filled with the usual suspects who, with their earaches, pinched fingers and the like, didn't seem to know the definition of the word "emergency" - or, worse, didn't care.

A bald medical student walked down the hall to the operating rooms, all of which were empty except for one where an open fracture was being fixed. The chief surgeon was playing a game of cards with the anesthesiologists and some orderlies, and she was having a good run, judging by her cheerful voice that drifted from the lounge.

He was smiling and tucking his hands inside his white coat to fumble for change for the vending machine when he saw a blue glow appear from under a door, then disappear. He frowned, but didn't get to check for himself. A young man with a hockey mask flipped up on his head kicked open the door.

A frantic, concentrated activity erupted in the emergency room at Queens Hospital.