chapter two

CONRAD

CONRAD

(edited version)

IT WAS LATE. MAYBE TEN-THIRTY, WHEN JOSIE CAME TO SIT ON ONE OF THE BEACH CHAIRS TO RELAX THAT NIGHT. Conrad didn't expect Josie to still be there, after his mom told him she declined the invitation.

At first, he felt rather guilty, thinking he was most likely the reason why she declined in the first place, but then thought of it as a blessing in disguise. Maybe things  were, in fact, meant to be that way. Josie coming would only make things awkward, and make Conrad think about how odd it felt that Josie was at his house after a month of their breakup.

Of course, none of that happened, and Josie turned out to be a surprise guest, much to Conrad's dread. It wasn't too bad, aside from their scuffle about the deb ball, but it still felt weird seeing her. Then again, it was also a bit nice, and relieving seeing her following the breakup.

Josie stopped walking when she saw Conrad, who had his feet dangled in the pool. He was smoking a cigarette, which was something that made Josie stop dead in her tracks. Seeing this, he felt a bit ashamed that she was seeing him like this. A lot of stuff had changed after the breakup that Josie was still unaware of.

Him quitting football was a first. Her face during dinner said it all. Quitting wasn't something Conrad was planning on doing either. After all, football was something he was seemingly destined to do in high school because of his dad. So, why give it up when he was doing so well? When he was his dad's biggest fan?

He had many reasons that he didn't want to think about.

"I-I didn't know anybody was here." Her eyes hovered at his cigarette. "I'll go if it makes things less awkward..." Without waiting for his response, Josie whipped around, making her way back inside, until Conrad stopped her.

"Jo, wait," He called out. Josie stopped and faced Conrad, slightly puzzled. He wasn't sure if she was confused by the use of the old nickname he used for her, or the fact that he asked her to stay. Maybe both. He was surprised of what he'd said himself.

The smoke left his mouth as he brought the cigarette out his mouth. "Stay, if you want. After all, you're our guest," He waited for Josie to say something. She only nodded.

Hesitant, she returned and sat down on Conrad's right on one of the beach chairs. Purposely, it seemed like she was inching a little further away from all the smoke.

"So, why'd you come out here?"

Josie gazed straight ahead. "I don't know...I kinda wanted some alone time. Everything was just getting loud in there. It's good to have peace and quiet now and then."