chapter six

CONRAD

CONRAD

"OH MY GOD!" SHOUTED NICOLE, ONCE THE VOLLEYBALL SMACKED HER FACE. Instinctively, Conrad leapt to her side out of worry.

Previously, Taylor, Belly, Steven, Casper, and Jeremiah were playing volleyball inside the pool. When Taylor tried passing the ball to Steven, it accidentally hit Nicole instead.

"I'm so sorry," Taylor apologized, but she didn't look the slightest bit sorry with her smile.

"Taylor!" Belly scolded.

Taylor's smile wiped away. "It was an accident." She said.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Belly questioned Nicole's who was rubbing her forehead. Josie sprinted to the scene that was occurring. Her eyes leapt to Nicole, and the Conrad.

"I heard something, did anyone get hurt?"

"Nicole got hit by our volleyball. She's okay though." Jeremiah described.  "Right Nicole?"

"Yeah, no. I'm totally fine, you guys keep playing." She reassured them.

The pressure of the ball hitting Nicole could bruise her. If he could bring her inside, he could help prevent it from getting worse. "Let me see it. Let's go inside. I'll get you some ice." He told her. Nicole gave him a 'don't worry about it,' look, but Conrad insisted. That was who he was, taking care of anyone who needed it. Strangers, even.

"I'm so so sorry again, Nicole." Belly apologized, giving Nicole a sorry look as him and Nicole left the scene.

"I'm really sorry about that." Josie sympathized. "Trust me when I tell I've gotten smacked by a ball in my girls volleyball team way more than I remember in middle school." It managed to cheer Nicole up, who chuckled. Conrad almost smiled. Almost.

Taylor shrugged her shoulders. "Don't worry about it, Josie. Conrad can take care of Nicole. Let's go inside and start complaining about how Conrad forgot about Josie's present this year, which, she was really looking forward to."

Conrad's heart began hammering. He thought back to everything he said to Josie. The way he shut her out, and how she said she wanted to understand him.

The there was a part of him that didn't want him to face all his wrongdoings. Sometimes instead of facing what he did, he wished he could just run.

"Yeah, have fun with that." He said. He felt Josie's dagger eyes shoot him and Nicole a face as they went inside.

Conrad practically had to drag Nicole over to his room, since she kept staring it didn't hurt. Maybe it didn't hurt. But he just wanted to see. To make sure he could do actually do something to help.