chapter nine

JOSIE

JOSIE

JOSIE WIPED THE SWEAT OFF HER FOREHEAD, AND PLASTERED A SMILE ON HER FACE as she gave the customer their book.

"That'll be twelve dollars," She told the girl, who looked to be in her teens.

She took out a ten-dollar bill, with two one-dollar bills, and passed it to Josie with a polite smile. She gingerly handed the book to the customer.

"It's all yours. Have a nice day!" Josie exclaimed, the customer waved and left the bookstore.

Her eyes hovered over the clock. It was noon, and Josie was beginning to get worried. In thirty minutes, she'd have to go to the county club and meet Belly there. She still had no escort. She'd been meaning to ask Casper, but it'd been so chaotic this past week that it's completely slipped her mind.

On top of that, the thought of dancing in front of the other goal was daunting, too. It was only practice, and she was bound to mess up, but it scared her.
Despite Conrad and others telling her she was good enough, sometimes those fears of her looking like a 'fake' to everyone else would come back.

Worst of all, what if everyone laughed?

Casper crouched down on the floor, rubbing his head. "This feels like hell. Utter hell."

Josie rolled her eyes. "Didn't I tell you that you could've taken the day off?"

Casper looked at her. "I would. But, my mom said it was my fault for getting drunk, so I had to deal with the consequences." The party happened a day ago, but Casper was still feeling the effects of the amount he drank. He slowly stood up, his eyes squinting in irritation. "Plus, I need the money."

"True," She agreed. She wasn't going to lie, she was still a little stunned he'd even drunk in the first place. She was learning new things about Casper every day.

Casper took out Jeremiah's famous hangover smoothie in his hydro flask. It was a putrid shade of green, which made Josie gag, even though she wasn't going to drink it. He gave it to Casper early in the morning and insisted he drank it.

She knew it tasted bad. But, it had worked to ease Conrad's pain when he had a hangover from the bonfire.

"Pray for me, okay?" Josie gave him a pair of thumbs up, and he downed at least half of the drink in the span of a few seconds.

Casper's hydro flask landed with a hard thump on the counter. His lips were pursed in disgust. "This shit better work for me..." He muttered under his breath.

She patted him on the back. "Congratulations to our new drinking champion!"

"You two, do you mind if you could reshelve these books in their sections? Those books finally came in, and I want them to get stocked in asap."