chapter seven

JOSIE

JOSIE

A FEW DAYS AFTER TAYLOR LEFT COUSINS, JEREMIAH SUGGESTED HE, BELLY, AND JOSIE TAKE A MUFFIN RUN AROUND TOWN. Even though Belly and Taylor sort of made up before she left to go home, she was still kind of hurting. Now, their friendship would never be the same as it was before. Josie believed it would be both stronger, but also a little less trustworthy at the same time, if that made sense.

During Nicole's party, Taylor and Steven were caught making out. The worst thing was, Josie thought Steven was seeing Shayla, the girl she'd seen at the bonfire party and country club for the deb ball. She was so sweet and kind. What in Steven's right mind would lead him to betray Shayla like that?

Taylor was a whole different story.

Josie and Jeremiah went to wait for Belly as she got the car keys. Noticing she was taking a while, Josie entered Conrad's room. From the corner of the bedroom, Josie could've sworn Belly was looking at something there. However, when Josie arrived, Belly dropped what she was looking at and turned around quickly to meet Josie.

"Uh, where you looking at something in there, Belly?"

"No, no. It was nothing." She reacted. She said all this a little too quickly that Josie couldn't help but feel a bit suspicious.

Belly wouldn't lie, she kept telling herself. She was probably just looking too much into things.

After a while of talking, Josie breached the subject of Conrad to get Belly's mind off Taylor. "Onto more pressing matters, I don't get Conrad."

"Is it because he forgot your birthday?"

It was that, and a lot more. "First, he quits football, which is pretty huge for him. Then, he fights a stranger at the bonfire party, and now he conveniently forgot to give me my birthday present." Josie shook her head.

"Don't get me wrong, us doing karaoke was nice and everything. For once, he seemed happy. But, I don't get why he's like this."

Jeremiah looked at Josie through the car lenses. "Hey, he's been like that for months. I'm starting to think the breakup might have hurt him a lot."

Josie nearly laughed at Jeremiah's words. Conrad? Sad over their breakup? Yet, he was the one who initiated and started it all. Shouldn't he be more relieved, than anything?

Josie stared outside at the trees and bushes to put her mind on something else for a moment. "He was the one who broke up with me, remember?"

"Conrad does a lot of stupid stuff he'll regret without realizing them first. I bet he still has feelings for you."

"What about Nicole, though? Aren't him and her a thing now?" Belly invited, which was a fair point.