Dining with Monsters

Wednesday's phone rings from beside her pillow, waking her up with a jolt. Sitting upright on the mattress on Enid's floor she picks it up and sees that her mother is calling her. She debates falling back asleep for a second before sliding the button across and answering instead. She's tired after staying up until 3 a.m. bingeing Stranger Things with Enid, but missing her family ultimately wins out.

"Morning, mother," she says quietly, trying not to wake her best friend.

Morticia is holding the phone up to her ear, seemingly forgetting she had started a video call. "Hello, darling! How are you? Are you enjoying your holiday?"

"Mother, I can see into your ear canal."

"Oh!" Morticia lowers the phone, peering into the lens as if Wednesday is in there and not on the screen. "Can you see me now?"

"Back up a little," Wednesday sighs. Morticia follows her instructions and finally Wednesday can see her whole face, even if it's still a bit of a close up. "Anyway, I'm okay. Enid's place is nice. It's big and gloomy."

"Oh, that sounds wonderful, darling! What are you two up to today?"

"We're going to dinner tonight. With Enid's pack."

Morticia makes a surprised face but recovers quickly. "That's exciting, Wednesday, but will you be safe, yes?"

Wednesday glances over at Enid, the least dangerous person she's ever met, sleeping peacefully across the room. "Yes. I was in more danger at school than I will be while dining with werewolves."

Morticia considers this. Wednesday had been at risk while at Nevermore and Morticia obviously trusted the Sinclairs to look after her daughter during the time she was staying with them. But still, humans and werewolves weren't always the calmest dining partners.

"I suppose they won't have any need for snacking, being at a dinner," Morticia let's out one of her cackles, indicating to Wednesday that it was just the Addam's humour. She didn't seriously think Enid's pack would make her the main course.

Wednesday just shakes her head, changing the subject. "Mother?" She waits for Morticia to follow her to the new topic. "When you and Father met... what did that feel like?"

Morticia's face goes soft. "What do you mean, Wednesday darling?"

Wednesday shrugs. "Nothing. I just... I don't know. How did you know you loved him? Like that?"

Morticia considers this for a moment. "I just knew."

"That's not really..." Wednesday shakes her head. "Never mind. It's not important."

Morticia clicks her tongue, "Have you met a boy out there, Wednesday?"

Betraying everything she stands for, Wednesday blushes. "No-o."

Morticia wants to push, to find out what- and who- is on Wednesday's mind, but instead she allows her daughter to change the subject yet again. The two continue talking for a while until Enid wakes up.

"Wednesday?" Enid croaks, her sleepy voice interrupting Morticia's story about Pugsley's latest petty crime. He's really grown into himself lately. "Wednesday, who are you talking to?"

"Mother."

"Oh!" Enid scrambles out of bed and down to Wednesday's side, the sleep in her voice dissipating. "Hi, Mrs Addams!"

"Sweetheart, I've told you to call me Morticia! How are you?"

Enid grins at the phone, "Good! I love having Wednesday here!"

Morticia and Enid chat briefly before Wednesday decides to cut them off and end the call. After an extended goodbye and traded I love yous, Wednesday hangs up and turns to face Enid.