The Cat and the Umbrella

Wednesday woke up late in the afternoon of the same day. Her arms were circled protectively around Enid.

Even though Enid's transition back from her wolf form had gotten a little easier over the couple of times it had happened during their being apart, it was still exhausting. Before they had gone to bed after Enid had eaten this morning, she'd asked Wednesday to stay in her bed, just like the night she'd first transformed, as it made her feel calmer. The calmness sped along the process of any stray hair and nails retracting.

Wednesday carefully takes her arm from behind Enid's head, and then uses it to pry Enid's tight grip off her other wrist. Slowly she moves off the bed, careful not to wake the exhausted Enid.

She tiptoes out of the room, wincing as the door clicks closed. Enid doesn't even stir. 

After leaving the bathroom, Wednesday intends to go back to Enid's room and hang around until she wakes up. But her stomach grumbles loudly and she decides it's probably time to eat something.

Wandering downstairs she hears yelling from the living room. She drifts in that direction, making sure she sticks near to the wall in order not to be seen. Just in case she finds herself observing something she shouldn't. 

Hovering in the doorway, however, she realises that she's actually just come across Hugo and Blaine playing video games. She also notices the huge bowl of steaming popcorn on the coffee table.

Her stomach growls the instant the smell of the butter and salt hits her nostrils. Hugo shoots a quick glance towards her, unwilling to look away from his game for more than a millisecond. "Afternoon," he says, not bothering to glance over a second time.

"Hi," Wednesday replies, stepping into the room. "What are you playing?"

Blaine suddenly shouts and when Wednesday looks at the screen, half of it shows a character being absolutely mauled by zombies. Throwing his controller next to him in frustration he finally gives her an answer, "Dead Island 2."

Hugo puts his controller down, too. "Wanna join us? We have popcorn," he shoves the bowl in Wednesday's direction. 

Wednesday considers for a second before deciding that maybe joining them wouldn't be so bad. She crosses the threshold and makes her way to the opposite side of the room where a two-seater sofa waits. 

She picks at the bowl of popcorn while the boys launch into another round of their game. She watches them carefully, picking up on how exactly the game works. She needs to be prepared in case they ask her if she wants to play a round.

After a small while, that exact scenario plays out- "Hey," Hugo says. He's sitting on the side of the big sofa closer to Wednesday. "Your turn," he waves the controller at her, an eyebrow raised playfully.

"Sure," Wednesday replies, reaching out and taking the controller from him. Neither boy even checks to see if she knows how to play before suddenly she and Blaine are in it, zombies slowly starting to advance.

A few minutes into the round, there's the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Out of the corner of her eye, she catches sight of blonde hair. Enid's awake.

Enid crosses the room without a word- earning a loud "HEY," from her brothers as she crosses in front of the screen and sits next to Wednesday on the two-seater.  

"So, this is where you've been," she says quietly.

Wednesday doesn't meet her eye. This isn't unusual, but the tension behind this is. "Yeah."

"I thought you were going to stay with me."

Enid said it in a whisper, but Blaine and Hugo heard every word. Before Wednesday could even begin to explain herself, Blaine interrupts, "Not the first time you've been somewhere other than where you told Enid you'd be, huh."