Wolf Out

Wednesday did not sleep.

How could she?

The couch is uncomfortable, she has only a thin blanket and the downstairs of the house is freezing as compared to Enid's bedroom. Plus the idea of one of Enid's family members coming downstairs and seeing her sleeping there would have caused her to feel what Wednesday can only describe as absolutely mortified. And an Addams doesn't get mortified.

As the sun begins to breach the horizon, her phone notifies her with a text- the family carriage is almost here.

Wednesday can't take it anymore- she has to get out of this stupid house. Though it's still fairly dark out, she figures the manor is far enough away from town for it to be safe for her to start walking down the Sinclair's ridiculously long driveway.

Standing from the spot she sat all night, she gathers the last of her things and folds the blanket, placing it neatly on the arm of the couch. Slinging her backpack on her shoulder, she gazes at the staircase.

Maybe she should climb it, go up and wake Enid. Maybe she should try and talk to her about what happened last night. Maybe she should apologise, although she has no idea what she has to apologise for. Still, if it repairs things between her and Enid...

She doesn't want to lose her best friend. But Enid was so clear about Wednesday leaving. She wanted this. Wednesday simply has to comply. Maybe going up those stairs would make Enid mad all over again- if she had even stopped being mad.

Wednesday forces her legs to turn her around and she heads for the door. She hesitates for a second, just long enough to hear footsteps on the stairs. Assuming it's one of Enid's family members and not particularly wanting to enter into an awkward conversation, Wednesday opens the front door and steps out.

She's only managed to get a few paces away from the front door when it swings open roughly behind her. "Wednesday!"

It's Enid.

Wednesday's pauses, her knees wavering at the sound of Enid's voice. She turns, facing her best friend. She searches Enid's face for signs of how she's feeling but she is so hard to read- until, after a few silent seconds of staring at one another, a tear falls from Enid's eye.

"Wednesday, I am so so sorry," she finally says. As soon as the words leave her mouth, the tears fall hard and fast. She's fully sobbing now.

Wednesday risks walking closer. From as far away as she can physically be while still touching Enid, she reaches out and places a hand on her shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Enid gasps through her sobs, "I'm so sorry that I yelled at you and that I kicked you out and that I made you uncomfortable and that I made you feel like I didn't want you around anymore. I'm sorry."

Wednesday moves closer, fully enveloping Enid in a hug. "Enid," She starts. She doesn't know what to say. She's never been good at dealing with people crying or apologising to her, so having them combined right now is triggering her flight or fight in an incredible way. She takes a deep breath, fighting her instincts. "Can we just talk about all of this?"

Enid nods, rubbing the tears away as best she can. She sits on the doorstep with a heaving sigh. Wednesday takes her place next to her, sitting cross-legged. Her hands wring with worry.

Enid takes a few seconds, steeling herself for the coming conversation. Letting out a breath she begins, "I couldn't stand seeing you with Conan after you kissed her. Or she kissed you. Whatever. The point is... it hurt to see you two together."

"What?" Wednesday does her signature eyebrow raise. "Why? Because she was your friend first?"

"No..." Enid's words catch in her throat. She has to admit her feelings for Wednesday. There is no other way to explain how irrational she had been acting. "Because I liked you first. Even if it took her actually having the confidence to make a move to make me realise it."