Falling Off the Ferris Wheel

"Are you ready, kiddos?" Enid's dad asks, peeking his head through Enid's door. "We leave in five!"

As he shuts the door behind him and walks away to warn the boys, Enid sighs. "What if... we just stayed home?" she dramatically drapes herself over Wednesday. "I'm so tired and we go to this every year!"

Wednesday frowns. "I have never been, though. You promised that we could go while I was visiting."

Enid sits back up, an apologetic expression on her face, "You're right, you're right. I promised." She throws the blanket off her knees and stands from the bed. Turning around, she stoops into a bow and holds out a hand to Wednesday, "You shall go to the fair, my lady."

Wednesday's eyebrow shoots up, "What are you doing?" She takes Enid's hand anyway and allows herself to be pulled out of bed.

Enid just laughs in response, straightening up and crossing the room to her wardrobe. She pulls out her favourite sweater, the pink and orange one, and layers that under a blue linen pinafore. Perfect fairground attire.

 Wednesday, meanwhile, remains wearing her high-collared black smock, though she does allow Enid to add a matching blue bow to the bottom of her braid.

Now that she's realised her feelings for her friend, she's even more willing than usual to give up some of her mysterious, distant air to gain the other girl's approval. And oh god does that stupid blue bow put a smile on Enid's face.

Wednesday would probably cover her hair in a rainbow of bows if it made Enid happy.

Quickly turning around to hide the faint pink her cheeks have taken on at the thought, Wednesday kneels down and rummages through her things until she finds her favourite black leather purse. "I'm ready," she declares, straightening up again.

When she turns around, she finds Enid watching her, her eyes not quite focused. There's a faint smile on her lips and Wednesday so badly wants to read into it, but she knows she shouldn't- besides, Enid wouldn't be Enid without her permanent smile, right? 

After a second, Enid ducks her head, reaching for her tote bag with the strawberry milk cartoon graphic on it. "Ready," she smiles at Wednesday again, but this time her eyes are clear and focused on her best friend. "Let's go."

_____

Entering the fairground, Enid pauses midstep to look up in wonder. Wednesday has to tug her along, muttering an apology to the couple they held up entering behind them.

Enid looks sheepishly at her, "Sorry. Aren't the lights beautiful though?! I'm glad we came after all," After receiving an acceptable murmur of agreement from Wednesday, Enid asks, "Okay, so what are we doing first?"

Wednesday shrugs, "I've never actually been to a fair before. It's so... loud."

Enid nods, "Yeah, I should've warned you about that, actually." She grabs Wednesday's hand and starts walking with purpose towards a booth. "Okay, this is one of my favourite games! So you shoot this water gun, right? You shoot the water into a clown's mouth. It's not a real clown, by the way..."

Enid continues talking, taking Wednesday from game to game, explaining- and playing- them as they go. They store their growing mound of tickets in Enid's tote. Wednesday has ended up being surprisingly good at most of the games, especially considering she'd never played any of them before. 

This is except for the strength test, in which both girls failed miserably. With a serious frown, Enid leans over and whispers as they wander on to the next booth, "You know if I could wolf out right now I could have broken that stupid machine." She seems genuinely disappointed in her score.