five

"you will do no such thing daughter! you already brought shame on us! you went missing, y-you are not one of us you are not metkayina!" he roared.

leyra broke down in front of the man, how many times would she have to hear this? hear his disappointment, his disgust?

"you."
"you killed your mother." he spat.

"i did no such thing!" leyra screamed.
"i held her! held her in my arms as the demons killed her father! i held her!"

"daughter-"

"i am not your daughter! and by eywa i will never be! i did not kill her; i held her and i cried to the great mother that she might live, and where were you father?!" she drew closer to him; the chief didn't know what to say.

they were both broken.

he lost his one mate for life; while she lost her whole life, for her.

"i got healers for her you know!-"

"i know nothing! i bear her necklace, i sing her song cord; you all are nothing!" she screamed.
"you're all nothing."

leyra's eyes flamed with anger as her brothers tried to calm her.

"she would've hated you all." she spat.

"leyra don't say such things." ao'nung spoke.

"she would. she would hate every single one of you, what has metkayina become father? is zaem the one to lead us all?"

"yes he-"

"eywa doesn't need warriors, the metkayina doesn't need heartless souls."

zaem stood silently, taking his hands off her.

leyra had nothing more to say, she felt her heart grow more and more empty by the second.

"daughter." her father spoke.
"you disappoint me."

leyra's ears flattened and soul crushed, she felt as if eywa had put her through the most life threatening battle and spat her out.

she froze still as the so called family spoke nothing.

"i will leave. to another tribe father."

"you will do no such thing."

"i will!" she scoffed.
"you do not love me."

the chief was taken aback by his daughters words.

"daughter; i love you more than eywa can give me words to say."

"you may love me father, but you do not see me."

and with that she left, the metkayina tribe living as normal as she felt her family crumble to pieces.

"ley." neteyam came out behind her.

" 'teyam." her voice broke.

"come, come with me." he guided her into his bedroom inside their hut.

"i feel crazy 'teyam."

"you're not crazy ley." he scoffed, pushing the girl to lie down in his arms.

"you need to breathe ley, breathe."

"i am trying 'teyam, everything feels so turbulent."

"it could be a sign." the boy commented.

"eywa hates me." she cried.

"no, no she doesn't ley, she brought us to one another it's me and you now okay?" he held her tight.

leyra smiled at his somewhat optimism.

"lo'ak? son have you seen lo'ak!" jake called barging into the room.

"no, i thought he came back with ao'nung?"

"no, what happened?!" leyra stood up panicked.

"just a small fight between the two, they were bullying kiri, so lo'ak stepped in and after while he apologised but..." jake held his head in his hands.

"ao'nung!" leyra screamed, angrily walking to her homestead.

"what the hell is it?!"

"where's loak?! where the hell did you take him!" she slammed her elder brother against the wall.

"hey what's happening?" her father came in

"lo'ak is missing father, where did you taking him ao'nung?!" she held her spear against his neck after grabbing it from her side.

"o-outside the reef! i thought it would be a prank but..."

"a prank son?! a prank! he could be dead right now!"

"father i-"

"you've done enough ao'nung." her father dismissed him and ran out to aid jake in the search for his son.

"how could you do that?" leyra breathed out.

"him and his brother needed a lesson, they're not welcome here and they're definitely not welcome to touch or be near my sister."

"you do not get to choose who i hold close to me!"

"you are metkayina sister-"

"i am not your sister." she cried.
"how could you try to kill our own ao'." she shook her head in disbelief.

"leyra i-"

"ao'... you can't. you can't do this; you will be labelled a killer and never allowed back." she teared up.

"i'm sorry sister." ao'nung went on his knees holding her hands; he knew her trauma with death and suddenly he understood her fear, fear that the sully family would have to deal with the death of their own blood like they did.

leyra stood silently before him.

"ley! they've found him!" neteyam shouted, running past.

"he calls you ley?" ao'nung got back up.

"ao'..."

"i am sorry sister, for how i've treated you, you. are like mother, you're kind. you- you understand." he spoke.
"i do not care who you mate with who you decide to love and how you decide to love them; you are metkayina forever and you will forever be my sister, i support you."

"i see you brother." leyra smiled up at him.

"i see you."

a/n : do you guys like where this story is going? i mean there's a lot to happen next and maybe some rekindling between leyra and her father.