1

"Ji. Jisung! Get up we're gonna be late!"

"Huh?" Jisung opened his eyes lazily, looking around his room. He squinted as his roommate and best friend Changbin opened the curtains, letting in the sunlight in his otherwise dark room.

"Come on, let's go! Get moving! It's already 7:30." Jisung shot up in his bed and picked up his alarm clock. Sure enough, it was 7:30. He had about 7 minutes before he absolutely had to be out the door for work. How could he miss his alarm again?

"Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" Jisung asked frantically while running to the closet to pick out a random t-short and some jeans.

"I tried for like 20 minutes. You wouldn't budge. How late did you work last night?" Changbin leaned on the door frame of his friend's room, waiting for an answer.

"Uhh... 3? 4? I forget." Jisung answered quietly. Not waiting for Changbin's response he ran into the bathroom to change and fix his major bedhead. Changbin stood there in shock for a second before he snapped himself back to reality.

"We're leaving in 5 minutes. I left you a muffin on the counter, so don't forget to grab it on the way out the door. I'll be in the car." And with that Changbin walked out of the apartment. It wasn't small, they both had their own rooms, a nice-sized living room, and a decent kitchen. Jisung stretched himself thin working many different jobs to pay the bills, buy groceries, and was saving up to buy himself a car. Changbin also had a couple of jobs, but wasn't running around like a wild dog trying to get everything done, he came from a more loving family who also had a good chunk of money. Changbin always had enough, but never took it for granted. He always tried to give Jisung some money, or take paying the full rent every once and a while, but Jisung always refused. It wasn't pride, he was always taught by his mother that you have to work your way in the world. Pay for yourself and don't get in the habit of letting others pay the way for you. Jisung always feared that if he let Changbin pay the rent for one month, or let him give Jisung money for something, he wouldn't be able to adapt back to the way it was before. He heeded his mother's words but never told Changbin.
Jisung quickly ruffled his hair so that it lay just in front of his eyes and ran out the door, stuffing the banana nut muffin in his mouth as he sprinted into Changbin's car. As he was getting into the passenger side of the car Changbin said,

"Wow! That was like a personal record! 4 minutes and 27 seconds!"

"Ha ha, very funny," Jisung replied sarcastically while rolling his eyes. He quickly changed the subject and Changbin started maneuvering out of the apartment complex. "Did you hear? The Prince is becoming King soon. They haven't announced when his coronation will be, but they announced that the king was... Retiring? I don't know how you'd phrase that for a king..."

"Really? Prince Yongbok?" Changbin asked.

"No, it's his brother, Prince Minho. You know, the one that no one ever sees anymore." Jisung smiled slightly at his friend. Changbin always seemed to talk about Prince Felix. It's understandable how he immediately thought of Felix, however, because he's the only one who the public ever sees anymore.

"Oh yeah. I thought there was a law that said he had to marry before he could become king. Wasn't there a big fight between the king and Minho about it? He was supposed to marry the Princes of the Leventer Kingdom, Jisoo."

"Yeah, he was, but I guess he was so set on not marrying her that King Jihoon ended up dropping the law. He said he doesn't see himself fit to protect the people any longer, so he needed to do something." Changbin nodded his understanding, deep in thought. For the rest of the 10-minute drive, they sat in comfortable silence.

When they arrived at the cafe they grabbed their aprons and punched in, then made their way up to the front.

"Oh, hey guys! Since you're already here I'm gonna go ahead and leave, I've got an appointment downtown and don't wanna be late! Let me give you the run down first. Changbin, Jin Hyung wants you to bus tables and help wash dishes when possible, and Jisung you're up front on the register and making drinks."