°30°

SIDHARTH

I’M SITTING IN HEADMASTER MATTHEWS’ office, slouching in the chair that sits in front of his desk, watching as he speaks on the phone with my father. He’s got it on speaker, I can hear every shitty word Reginald Shukla  has to say about me, but I don’t care.

I just want out of here. I need to talk to Shehnaaz. Clear the air with her and make sure she understands what actually happened last night.

“Normally we would suspend students caught out on campus after curfew,”

Matthews says after my dad wraps up his three-minute tirade on my lack of focus and how I don’t give a damn about school or other people.

“But we’re so close to finals week and winter break. I’m thinking the time off will be a good time for both your son and Miss Hartford to think about what they’ve done and come to terms with their mistakes.”

My father makes a harumphing noise. “You’re too soft on ‘em, Matthews.”

Matthews can’t win. He suspends me, and my father will be pissed. He lets me go and my father’s pissed.

“I’ll put them in detention then,” Matthews suggests, his gaze meeting mine.

If I could, I’d give him the finger, but I restrain myself. “For the rest of the week.”

That’s a whoppin’ two days. Big deal.

“Whatever you think is best.” I can tell my father is done with this conversation. “Sidharth!”

“Yes, Sir?” God, I hate him.

“Quit fucking around and get your head on straight for once in your goddamn life. Do you understand me?”

Matthews flinches at the choice words my father uses. Such a cool, calm dude when he wants to be.

Not.

“Will do,” I tell him.

Dad ends the call, and with a sigh, Matthews punches a button, shutting off the phone. He rests his elbows on top of his messy desk, pressing his hands together. “You know I’m taking a chance with this.”

I lean forward in my chair, taking my opportunity. “And you know I’m telling you the truth. Natalie was sneaking back onto campus after meeting with Mr. Figueroa. I saw his car. I saw him inside the car. Pretty sure I saw
him kiss her too.”

Matthews winces. “You sure about that?”

“Not one hundred percent.”

“You don’t think he was helping her with a paper?”

Oh sweet, idiotic Headmaster Matthews. Why is everyone in denial when it comes to Figueroa?

“It was ten o’clock at night. I don’t think he was helping her with a paper,” I tell him, my voice dry. “I don’t even think she’s in one of his English classes.”

Matthews sighs. “She’s not. I’ve already checked.”

“Told you.”

“This is a serious allegation, Sidharth. You could put a man’s entire career at stake if this comes out.”

“It’ll come out, because now that I’ve told you, by law, you have to report it to the authorities.” I’m feeling pretty damn good for ratting Fig out.

I don’t  even care if it fucks with his career. That’s exactly what it should do. “He has
no business teaching here. These rumors have been going on for years. Haven’t you ever heard about them?”