Chapter Five

Stiles munches on his fish while he looks at Derek, and he smiles at him when he catches him looking at him. "Thanks, Derek. It's nice of you to share your wealth of fish. Maybe you can show me how to fish sometime?" Stiles suggests, and Derek surprises him by shrugging his shoulders. "Your social skills are getting better." Stiles tells him, and Derek moves to put more wood on the fire before walking towards his little cabin. "I'm Stiles, by the way since I'm pretty sure I haven't introduced myself yet. I bet you just call me that annoying dude who knows nothing in your head." Stiles says, and Derek gives him a curious look.

Stiles sighs as he looks up at the sky, the moon is full and it's almost pretty the way it gleams off of the ocean. Stiles pulls his legs to his chest before he he sighs, and he leans against his knees as he looks out at the beach. Maybe someone on a small plane will see them, but Derek's been here awhile and no one has found him yet. What if no one finds him, Stiles thinks. What if he dies on this island with no one but Derek to know where he is? Stiles flurries himself into a panic before he puffs on his inhaler. "Don't panic." Stiles tells himself, and he turns to see that Derek is looking at him strangely.

Derek turns his head to look at curiously, almost like he's never seen anything like him, and Stiles doesn't think anything of it. "Where's your Wilson?" He teases, and Derek's eyes narrow at him. Stiles makes an 'eep' noise before holding his hands up in defeat. "I'm just teasing you. Did you ever read "The Cay" Stiles asks, and Derek shakes his head making Stiles smile at him. "Well, it's this book about a boy and this Africa American man in, I think, the second World War. Well, they become stranded together on this island, and the boy becomes blind so the man, Timothy, has to help him. But the boy, Phillip, is racist because his mother is and he learned to be that way so he's skeptical of him." Stiles tells him,and he seems to have Derek's attention since the other man is looking at him. "And there's this cat that their friend." Stiles muses, thinking about the book.

The wind blows softly, making Stiles shiver, and he hugs himself tighter as he thinks to himself. "Eventually Phillip learns to trust Timothy, maybe because he cannot see the color of his skin or because he takes care of him is up for interpretation." Stiles tells him, and Derek stands still before he moves to walk to the cabin. He turns when he gets to the door, and he looks at Stiles. Stiles takes if for him inviting him to come into his little cabin, so Stiles stands to stagger along with him to get into the cabin.

The cabin offers him some security for some reason, it seems to be built as sturdy as Derek could with the supplies he has available on hand. Derek moves to curl up in his little corner where he has a makeshift nest going, and Stiles turns to lay down near the door before moving so that when the sun raises it will wake him so he can make his way back to the beach in the morning. Stiles blinks himself slowly asleep, and he can hear Derek moving around in his little corner.

It's harder to fall asleep like this, with the waves crashing against the shore, and he curls up in tight ball. He's almost asleep when he hears Derek turn in his sleep to look at Stiles, and Stiles doesn't say anything to him. "What happened to Timothy and Phillip?" Derek asks, softly. Stiles smiles to himself before he turns to look at him.

"There's, uh, there's this hurricane and Timothy lays down on Phillip to protect him and he dies." Stiles tells him, and Derek doesn't say anything after that. "I know it's not the best ending." Stiles tells him, and he hums to himself before he speaks. "It's one of my favorite books." Stiles tells him, and Derek doesn't say anything to him in answer but it's more than he's said to him all this time.

****

Stiles moves to turn over on the beach, he's too lazy to do anything else, and he doesn't move. He's been on this island for an entire week, he thinks it's a week but it could just be more days or less days since he's been stuck on this island. He makes himself a routine of waking up when the sun wakes him up to walk to the beach, eating something, and then walking back to Derek's camp before the sun goes down all the way and he cannot see the way.