Chapter One

———

-Your POV-

"Wait, so there's not any couples to partake in the Regional Dance this year?" I ask my best friend, Lillie.

"Yes, and that's really bad for Alola, since we're hosting the Dance for the first time." Lillie starts to fret, fidgeting with her long blond hair.

"Oh no," I whisper.

Everyone knows what that means. If there's no pair of lovers to represent Alola in front of the judges, there will be a draw. All of the Poke School's students' names will be put in a jar. The two names that are picked will be put in the spotlight. They'll have to be dating for the night. The whole night.

I'd be devastated if I were selected. But at least there aren't matchmakers like Lillie in charge of the draw.

The reason why the heck we'd need to impress the judges, is that they are each from one of the regions. Whether Kanto, Hoenn, Galar... they all will be there. And if we, Alola, can't have a representation of two dating teens in their school when we're the ones hosting the Regional Dance, let's just say Alola's reputation would take a drastic nosedive. And that's unaffordable, since Alola is just a small collection of islands, without the amount of technology and large cities that many of the other regions have.

"Hey there, guys!" The hyperactive kid with green hair that's always pulled in a high ponytail runs into the classroom. He's eating his favorite doughnut-like treat as always, he's such a malasada obsessed child.

"H-hello, Hau," Lillie stutters. I know she's had a small crush on him since last year.

But to me, I've never really minded him, other than him being my rival since a very young age.

But now about me. I've lived here all my life, and I've even caught a few of my own Pokémon. I only carry around my Brionne though. Professor Kukui had given her to me as a Poplio when I turned ten, and we've trained hard to get to this point. To be honest, Pokémon battles aren't my favorite thing, even if I'm sorta competitive. I long for Alola to have fashion contests, like Kalos and Sinnoh.

Anyways, my name is (Y/N) (L/N). And this is the, I suppose, love story. This is how it started.

"...and since there is no one currently dating," Professor Kukui's lecture suddenly caught my attention, "We'll have to pick names for the Regional Dance."

Groans echoed through the small classroom. In fact, there were only seven students including yourself.

"So, I'll need everyone to write their full name on the slip of paper I'm handing out, then turn it into this jar." Kukui pulls out a jar from a drawer nearby as if he was prepared for this.

I quickly scribbled down my name in nice script, then folded the slip of paper in half, and tossed it into the jar, since I was in the first row. Soon, every student had gone except Lillie, who was trembling in fear. I didn't understand why she panicked, so I wrote her name on it myself and walked back to throw it in.

"I just am worrying if I get someone who I'm really just friends with," She explains softly, because her seat is directly behind me.

I see. The problem is, Lillie is friends with everyone in the class.

"Now, to choose the lucky two!" The Professor announces. Too bad no one thinks it's really going to be lucky.

"First!" He shouts.

Suspense filled the room to the tippy top.

Seven pairs of eyes watch as Kukui reaches in slowly and selects a piece of paper. He draws it out, and unfolds the slip. Then, the awaited words of the first chosen student is...

"Hau Kekoa," Professor Kukui says simply with a wide grin.

And then, dread fills my chest once more as the professor pulls out a second slip of paper. I noticed that it is folded neatly.

The paper gets unfolded. Kukui opens his mouth, and declares, "(Y/N) (L/N),"

I stand up so quickly that my chair slams to the ground. My heart rate quickens. I squeeze my eyes shut and growl, "So, we just have to pretend to be dating, correct?"

"Y-yes," Professor Kukui seems intimated. Ha.

"Fine," I frown, ignoring Hau's reaction. Which is blushing madly and looking away from everyone's watchful gaze.

To be honest, the entire class was staring at the two candidates this year: Hau and me.

———