Chapter Six

———

-Your POV-

"Ready for today, class?" Professor Kukui announces at the start of the school day, "We will be setting up the Regional Dance, which will be hosted at Mallow's family restaurant. The party will be happening later tonight. Alright, the decorations are in the storage room down the hall, and food will be prepared at the restaurant."

The classroom is set into a flurry of excitement. Students cut out paper decorations and pull out more from a closet to set up. All of the preparations will be brought to the cafe this afternoon.

While all of this was happening, I tried my best to hang back in the corner of the classroom. I attempted to look cheerful despite the dance I was anticipating this evening.

Lillie noticed this, and hesitantly walked over. She timidly asks, "(Y/N), I'm so sorry for daring Hau."

"Why are you apologizing?" I question, "It's alright."

"It's alright?" She shrieks, causing some students' heads to turn. She quiets down, "I was jealous. You know I used to have a silly crush on Hau. What I did was mean, and I regret it."

"I really don't mind," I laugh, "I forgive you."

Lillie sighs in relief as if she'd cried herself to sleep thinking about it. She nods, "What about the dance? You're going with Hau, so... What are you thinking?"

"...nothing, why?" I shrug, not letting her have any insight to my feelings about tonight.

"No, no. This won't do. Have you even picked out a dress?"

"U-um, not really?" I look away.

"Come over to my place before the dance, I've got something that would look positively gorgeous on you." She insists, then waves her hand and steps back into the preparation group,"See you later!"

This was going to be a long day.

*Time Skip*

"Seriously, Lillie...?" I mutter.

It's not that I forgot how big her house was. Just the opposite. But as I stood overwhelmed by my anticipation, the mansion belonging to the Aether family loomed over me in the afternoon sun.

The front metal gate opened with a slight creak, and I strolled through the entrance uneasily. The butler known as Hobbes bowed deeply and led me to Lillie's room.

A different one than the one from the sleepover.

"Here you are," Hobbes bows once more and leaves me at a door.

I open the plain door to reveal Lillie, kneeling on the floor, sorting through racks and piles of clothes, from short, frilly dresses to stylish and sparkling ones that reached the floor. The color of the rainbow and more could be found.

"Oh, you're here!" Lillie turns and quickly stands, shoving several of the dresses into my hands, "Try these on, will you? I've selected my highest recommendations! Go on, don't be shy. You can change here."

Lillie gestures to a door branching off into an extensive bathroom.

I didn't get a word out of my mouth before she hastily pushed me into the room and closed the door behind me.

I blink.

"Well then," I sigh and toss the dresses to the ground, "I don't have another option."

I modeled many dresses for Lillie: slim red ones, midnight blue with shimmering diamonds, pastel purple and detailed lace, and many, many more.

None of them were approved by Lillie.

"This won't do..." Lillie frowns as she digs through more outfits.

"Well..." I murmur.

"Yes?"

"I sorta like that one." I mumble, pointing to one nearby.

Lillie's eyes brighten, "Sure! Let's try it!"

I nod and pick up the dress and bring it to the bathroom, where I put it on with ease. I step out of the room after pairing it with a pair of plain white slip-ons.

Lillie gasps. I twirl around, showing off the crisp white fabric with the pale pink ribbons and sashes. I grin sheepishly and blush as Lillie gapes in wonder. (Refer to the picture up top)

"I know, it's simple." I mutter.

"No, it's perfect!" She regains composure and strides over, "The dance is starting soon. I'll get Hobbes to drive us there, no problem."

Once we've gotten into the enormous black car, Hobbes drives us there. The sun is setting, casting a warm light over the large wooden patio next to Mallow's family restaurant. Glowing porch lights are strung across the deck, adding to the Alolan evening vibe.

"Oh hey! (Y/N)! Lillie! You're early!" Mallow waves from the door as Lillie and I step out.

"I'd like to see what was done with your charming cafe tonight, Mallow." Lillie smiles as Hobbes drives away.

"Of course," Mallow says inside, "Come on in, no one but Hau has arrived yet."

"H-Hau is here?" I ask, suddenly nervous.

"Yep," Mallow replies, completely obvious.

Mallow walks in first with Lillie is right behind. I trail along anxiously, but the peaceful atmosphere inside quickly calms me.

I can't help but smile. A string of colorful paper rings decorates the singing, along with lush flowers that overflow the room with lovely scents. Rows and rows of tables fill the restaurant, leaving much room outside for dancing. The bars at the back are reserved for the three judges who will be overseeing this advent.

Right, Hau and I have to be acting as a perfect couple tonight. But I won't let that ruin my fun.

"Hau?" Mallow calls, "Stop eating the food! (Y/N)'s here!"

"Coming," He responds and rushes into the room, wearing average Alolan dressy clothes, but not too fancy. This was a tropical region after all.

Hau took one look at me then widely grins, "You look great, (Y/N)!"

Lillie's face becomes serious, "Hau, you need to remember. Tonight means you two look as great as you can be. Impress the judges at all costs. You must look like you're in love. That reminds me, Mallow, who are the judges?"

"Oh, that would be," She ticks them off on her fingers, "The first is Fantina, who is a gym leader and contest professional from Sinnoh. Next, Mr. Sukizo, who is a contest judge from Kanto, Sinnoh, and even Hoenn. He is the President of the Pokemon Fan Club. Last is Wallace, a passionate artist in water and illusions. He will be the hardest to fool, in my opinion."

Lillie nods just as the first people and couples from around the world begin to come, "Hau and (Y/N), do your absolute best. I'll be watching."

———