Chapter Seven

———

-Your POV-

"Hau," I whisper.

"What?" He asks.

The first thing that happened once the majority of the people had arrived, was that couples were frantically flirting whenever the judges eyes were on them. Which was almost the entire time.

Hau and I just hesitantly stood near the edge of the well-lit patio. I continue, "Don't you think we need to do something? Lillie's looking at me weird."

"And what do you mean by that?" He asks.

Now that I think about it, Hau doesn't seem like the sunshine brat that he was when we were younger. He's actually enjoyable to be around. But right now, I feel so forced.

"I..." I trail off as I realize that Hau has slipped his hand into mine, interlaced.

Oh my Arceus, Hau is holding my hand!!

My face redens, and I realize that Lillie's facial expression has calmed, until I notice the judges jotting down notes.

The other couples notice too, and the rest of the people move out of the way as songs begin to play. Every couple makes their way to the middle of the dance floor, and eventually, Hau drags me with him to the dance floor.

"H-Hau!" I quietly protest.

"Trust me," Was all he said.

Lillie smirks from the corner, recording my blushing face. A slow dancing song starts, and every girl dancing is in the tight embrace of their partners. Hau pulls me into his arms too, and we begin to twirl.

I can't begin to explain how warm my face was, it's so embarrassing. Hau's strong arms pull me along to the flow of the song.

After a while, and many songs had played, we decided to pause to go and get some of Mallow's food from inside the cafe. They had changed to a lighter beat, and the other people attending the dance decided to join in. The eyes of everyone were not sent our way, and we could slip out without being noticed.

Our intentions at the start was to get some food, but Lillie stopped me from sitting down and whispered, "Go take a walk. And when you come back, I wasn't to see some real romance to impress the judges. Remember, you're dating. I'm expecting a kiss, got it?"

Her tone scared me, but I dragged a confused Hau outside. We ended up going on a stroll for some air away from everything. It was hard keeping the same posture for so long. I never knew formal dancing was so exhausting.

The evening air was warm as a breeze ruffled my hair. I sigh and stare out over the sea, "Hau? We should go back soon. We aren't supposed to leave anyway..."

"Oh," is all he said.

I'm lost in thought and only snap out of it when I realize how close Hau is to me right now. I remember what Lillie had said, and turn to face Hau, who notices my staring.

"What?" He asks.

I quickly, without a second thought, stand on my tip toes and lean in. I press my lips against his for a brief moment, which completely startles him. Hau's eyes widen, and my face goes bright red.

"Sorry..." I mumble, not letting my eyes meet his astonished gaze.

"Don't apologize! We're supposed to act like that anyway, right?" He laughs.

I wasn't entirely acting, but he's right, we need to turn everything to our side to win the judge's favor. We just have to win.

"Let's go back inside." I murmur, and grab his hand.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. One last thing."

I stop in my tracks and drop his hand while turning back to face him, "Y-yes?" I ask nervously.

-Hau's POV-

"Nevermind." I stall dismissively and start to pass (Y/N) and as she timidly trails behind.

Why didn't I tell her? I glance back at (Y/N)'s crestfallen face. How was I supposed to react?

"Wait,"

"What now?" She grumbles.

I grin, "One more kiss for good luck?" She appears extremely startled, and I laugh, "Joking!"

"Save it for inside!" I hear Lillie chirp from a few feet away. She holds up her phone with a smug expression in her pale face.

"Oh, fine." (Y/N) grumbles.

I can tell she doesn't really mind and I can't stifle my laugh. Lillie giggles too, and gestures inside, clearly telling us to not waste any more time.

We step back inside just as slow songs begin to play. "Shall I have this dance, (Y/N)?"

She blushes and nods with a small smile, "Of course,"

We waltz back onto the patio with grace, and we both smile. We've silently agreed to forget everything else.

The song quietly begins to come to an end, just as the sun finishes setting in the Alolan sky, and I lean down to (Y/N). Our lips meet, and time seems to stop.

Everyone at the restaurant stops to stare at us as the fireworks activate with a bang. Lillie knew that would happen and took as many pictures and videos as she humanly could. I slowly step back to admire the colorful lights exploding in the night sky, with (Y/N) by my side, our hands interlaced.

-Your POV-

It doesn't matter who wins the competition at the dance anymore. At this moment, nothing else matters but the happy feeling about to burst inside my heart, as the fireworks go off overhead.

"I love you, Hau." I whisper, and it doesn't go unnoticed.

"I love you too." Hau smiles wide and we both lean in for one last kiss as everyone at the Regional Dance cheers louder than the fireworks overhead.

———

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Thanks for reading this so far!

This is the second to last last chapter, so I will put out one last update as an epilogue, don't worry. I really wanted to end my first Pokemon fanfiction with a bang, and I hope this was sufficient. If you liked this one, I suggest checking out my other stories, but stick around for the epilogue, I think I'll be able to publish it sometime this week. Bye for now,

- Lillian

———