Chapter 4

I was washing dishes when I heard the doorbell and turned the faucet off to answer it. I opened it to see an older couple standing at my door. "Um...hi? Can I help you?" I asked, subconsciously resting a hand over my stomach. "Is Evan here?" The lady asked. I looked at them with confused eyes before I looked towards the stairs, keeping my free hand latched on the door. "Hey, Buck?" I called out in a semi concerned tone. He and Eddie came downstairs and he looked at me as he came over and kissed my cheek. "Hey, babe. What's u-" He cut himself off as he looked out our door into the hallway. "Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?" Buck asked as I stared at him in shock and he wrapped an arm protectively around me. I winced and favored my side closer to Buck as he looked down at me. "Baby. Why don't you go sit down and put your feet up, okay?" I nodded.

Buck's POV

I watched Alyssa go sit on the couch before I turned back around, arms crossed and glare heavy. "Like I said, what are you doing here?" My mother looked taken aback. "Aren't you going to let us in?" I huffed and stepped back, barely widening the doorway. Eddie looked at me with a raised eyebrow as he awkwardly stood against our bar and drank out of a bottle of water. I put my hand up telling him to stay as I shut the door. "Well? I'm not gonna ask a third time?" I raised an eyebrow. "Who...is...that?" My mom trailed as she looked over at Alyssa. "My girlfriend." I clenched my fists even though my arms were crossed still.

"Hmm.. well...I'm sure she has a lovely personality. But...girlfriend? Evan, you never told us you were seeing someone?" I looked over at Alyssa who looked upset as my father spoke indignantly. I felt my heart breaking for her and I growled softly. "And why would I? Why would I tell you?" My dad leaned over. "And you're sure that...ahem...well...how should I say this?" I caught on to what he was saying and Alyssa did too, looking extremely hurt as she stood up and walked over to me. "Baby, I'm gonna go upstairs for a minute, okay?" She whispered as she leaned up and kissed my cheek, avoiding looking at my parents before going up the stairs.

"Get out." He looked at me. "Son..." I straightened to my full height. "Did I stutter? Get. Out. Of. My. Apartment. Now." My dad rolled his eyes and my mom dabbed tears from her face but their bodies didn't move. "You will not come into my life and say anything, ANYTHING about my job, my apartment, MY GIRLFRIEND, or OUR BABY that's not positive, which isn't possible for you to do to me, and expect me to be okay. So get out. There's the door." I said, on the verge of blowing up. "Evan..."

Last straw. "IT'S BUCK. JESUS CHRIST. GET OUT. NOW. AND DON'T COME BACK." I yelled as I stomped over to the front door and swung it open. Again, they just STOOD there. I sighed as I leaned my head against the doorframe before putting one hand on my hip and the other pinching the bridge of my nose. "Okay. Maybe this'll help. Either GET OUT or I will call the COPS ON YOU FOR TRESPASSING." They shuffled out into the hallway quickly. "Evan, dear," I glared at my mom. "Don't come back. We don't want you in our lives or in our baby's life." I shut the door in their face.

I groaned and saw my coffee cup from this morning still sitting on the table and I picked it up, yelling as I threw it across the room, watching it hit above the sink and shatter into a million pieces. "And this would be my cue to leave." Eddie said softly as he pushed himself off the bar. He walked behind me and hesitated before putting his hand on my shoulder. I put my hands on the bar and tried to not start crying. Once I heard the door open and close, I sighed and took a few deep breaths before I cleaned up the glass and then realized Alyssa was still by herself. I bolted up the stairs and ran into our room and saw our bathroom light on. I looked in there through our TV reflection and Alyssa was painstakingly looking over her appearance in the mirror. "Damn it!" I whispered to myself as I walked in the bathroom and stood in the doorway.

I saw tears running down her face and I coulda killed someone right then and there. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey." I said softly as I went behind her, wrapping both my arms around her as she cried. "I'm so sorry." I mumbled against her hair as I kissed the back of her head. I turned her around and picked her up to sit her on the counter. I got down on my knees in front of her and put my hands on her thighs before I looked up into her silvery hazel eyes, now shiny with tears. "They had no right to speak to you like that. They had no right to insinuate that this..." I stopped and put one hand on her stomach. "...isn't our baby. They're just mean, vindictive, angry people who never healed from a trauma that wasn't anyone's fault and that couldn't be helped. But they have no right, absolutely none to come into our life and say that stuff to you. To us. Okay?"

She nodded as I stood up and put my hands on the counter on either side of her. I sighed as I watched tears dripping onto her thighs, darkening the shade of blue of her leggings. I lifted her face up to meet mine and wiped her cheeks with my thumbs before I kissed her. She sniffled as I leaned my forehead against hers. "Hey, you remember what I told you when we first started dating?" She raised a curious eyebrow as I locked my fingers with hers. "Standing between you and someone who thinks they can hurt you is exactly where I wanna be. I mean that with my whole heart. I swear to always protect you." She smiled and put her hands on my cheeks, kissing me gently. "I love you." She whispered. I smiled and kissed her nose. "I love you." I leaned down and kissed her stomach. "And I love you too." I looked up at Alyssa and smiled as she shook her head with a smile, softly scratching my head.