Chapter 11

I groaned as Buck got up out of bed. "No, babyyyy. Stay with meeee." He chuckled as I whined in my pillow. "I can't. I love you." He kissed my head as I waved him off. "Yeah, yeah, yeah." He chuckled and I heard the front door close. I sighed and rolled over to grab my phone. I stayed in bed until Brinleigh started crying.

I got up, got the baby, made breakfast, showered, did laundry, and some other stuff. Buck was on a 48 hour on, 72 hour off shift so it was just going to be me and Brinleigh for a couple days. I can do this. I can. It wasn't going awful but then I saw Buck forgot his extra shirt and his other socks. I sighed as I got everything ready and then drove to the hospital where I dropped Brinleigh off at the staff daycare so I could take Buck his stuff and go grocery shopping without a grabby 6 month old.

The radio was talking about...a kidnapping...with a fire attached and started naming the first responder companies. I gasped as I heard the number of Buck's rig. I turned down a random cross street and drove to where the scene was. I saw the truck and ran over, hugging around Buck's waist. "Baby...what...are you doing here?" He asked as he kissed my head and hugged around my shoulders. "I was worried about you." He smiled and rubbed my back.

He sighed as I looked between Eddie and Bobby. "I mean, there's no safe way to do this. There's a raging fire on one end of the building..." Eddie sighed. "...and a gunman on the other." Bobby nodded as he finished Eddie's sentence as I put my hand on Buck's chest. He looked at the building and looked at me and...no...no. "Buck." I said under my breath as I tightened my grip on his waist. "I'm not gonna let that little girl die today. She is 6 years old. I'm not letting her die." He whispered as he looked down at me and cupped my chin in his hand to kiss me. He stared at me for a moment before turning and running towards the building. "Buck! Buck! No!" I blood curdlingly screamed as Eddie looked and grabbed me as Bobby tried to yell after Buck. "Eddie! You take care of her. And you take care of my daughter."

Buck looked at me screaming in Eddie's arms. "I love you." I saw him mouth before he turned away and jumped over one of the barriers. I screamed again and sobbed as Eddie tightened his hold on me, holding my arms against my chest and my back against his chest. "EVAN!" I screamed, surprising myself because I never called him that. My screams did nothing. I stopped and panted as he disappeared among the flames and smoke. I watched as Hen and Chimney started grabbing their gear and Bobby stopped them. "That's one of our own, Bobby. You're crazy if you think I'm not going to go try to help him." Hen said as she looked into his eyes. "And Maddie would kill me if I didn't try." Chim added before Bobby sighed and stepped aside. I knew if Eddie would, he'd have been the first one through the door after Buck. I covered my face with my hands and hid it in Eddie's chest as I cried in broken, shaky sobs.

Buck's POV

I heard Alyssa start screaming, and I cringed. I hate hurting her but this is what I signed up to do. Save lives. Help people. No in between. But I also know Eddie is the only one who can stop her tackling me before I get to the building at this moment. "EVAN!" I froze for a second. She's never called me Evan. Well, hardly ever at least. Am I doing the wrong thing? I shook my head and kept walking towards the building. No. That is a little girl. What if it was Brinleigh? I would want someone to help her. Course, I wouldn't be kidnapping my daughter, setting buildings on fire, and waving a gun around like her dad is right now, but still. I ran into the building and followed the little girl's echoing cries and screams for help.

My POV

I pulled away from Eddie's chest to see my tears pooling on his dark blue shirt and making it even darker. I held onto his forearms and looked towards the building before I sniffled again. He sighed and leaned down, picking me up and setting me on the hood of Athena's cruiser. Eddie hovered his hands in front of me wordlessly telling me to stay put before running over to Bobby. All of a sudden, shots rang out. 8 or 9 at least. I flung myself off the hood and started running towards the sound. "No, no, no, no, no, no!!! Buck!" Eddie grabbed me around the waist. "Eddie! Let me go!" I clawed at his forearms as he tightened his grip. I tried to kick against the ground but Eddie planted his feet, so my kicks were meaningless. "You know I can't do that! You're a private citizen." I panted and quit fighting him as I watched the black plume of smoke rising higher and higher.