chapter 27

Momoko's pov.

I was running down the stairs to get away. And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea why I ran in the first place. I kept hearing his voice in my ears, kept seeing the desperation in his eyes, and kept feeling the same amount of fear in my soul. I don't know why I felt scared in the first place. I mean, this is what I've wanted for so long, ever since we were kids. So why? Why am I scared? All I knew was that I needed to talk to someone, so I called both the loud mouth and the grumpy doctor for help.

"So, what exactly happened? You look like you've seen a ghost." Ayame asked with his usual smile. We were sitting in a booth in a café. Hatori, who was sitting next to the loud mouth, was calmly drinking his tea. "Well, um, promise you won't freak out or make a scene for that matter." I gave them a nervous look as they glanced at each other, confused before nodding in agreement.

So I explained everything to them, well not about Kyo. I didn't give everything in detail, but they got the gist of it. Both the men in front of me grew very quiet, and their faces grew as red as a ripe appel. I felt my own face grow hot as we sat in complete silence. The only sound to be heard was from the people in the café around us and my heart that was trying to hammer its way out of my chest. Hatori took a long sip from his tea to avoid the awkwardness while Ayame just stared at me in shock.

"Sooo.. you ran away." Ayame broke the silence. "That was rather blunt." Hatori mumbled. "I didn't run away!" I defended myself. Both the men gave me a look that said, 'be realistic'. "Okay, maybe I did. But it was too sudden. I got scared and nervous, and.." I looked down at my lap and felt the shame inside me grow. "Good grief, Momoko. Even with only one well functioning eye, I can tell that you and that idiot really love each other. You've had feelings for one another since you were little kids. So don't deny your emotions now that it's coming out completely." Hatori slightly scolded me.

Both me and Ayame looked at the doctor in amazement. Never in my life would I have ever expected Hatori to have such meaningful words of encouragement. Suddenly, I couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped my lips. "Man! If Hatori gave me advice on love, then I know I'm being stupid!" I said between laughs. Hatori gave me a glare for the comment while Ayame began to laugh with me. That seemed to annoy Hatori even more as his eyebrow began to twitch. Soon after we all calmed down, we got something to eat and just enjoyed ourselves.

Time skip.

I decided to relax and see how things go before I go back to Shigure. I feel completely horrible for what I did. Though in all fairness, he's been doing this to me for a very long time now. Ugh, I need to stop making excuses for my actions! It's getting ridiculous!

Just as I was about to take out my keys, I noticed a man standing in front of my door. His hair was short and dark, and he was wearing nice clothes. "Umm, can I help you?" I asked a bit suspicious of the man. When he turned around, I was in complete shock. It was Kurano Sohma, the rooster. "You are Momoko, correct? Shigure's girlfriend?" I blushed at his words. "Yes, I am Momoko. However, I am not his girlfriend." I corrected him. "Ah, my apologies, miss." He bowed, "May I have a word with you, if you don't mind? It's urgent."

"Come on in." I said a little suspicious as I unlocked the door and allowed him access into my home. As I opened the door, Demon tried to get out. I quickly grabbed him by his collar before he could do anything. "Um, make yourself comfortable. I'll just me a sec." I said as I dragged the big dog to the backyard to lock him there for the time being. I put the kettle on the stove to boil some water for tea. After preparing two cups for me and my unexpected guest, I brought the tray to the living room where I found him looking at an old photo of me and the three Sohma's when we were younger.

"That was taken when we were still in middle school. Ayame and Shigure dragged me and Hatori out to go to a café." I explained, "Tea?" "Oh, thank you." He said as he took a seat before sipping his cup. "So what is it you needed to discuss?" I asked as I looked at his calm expression. However, his eyes looked empty, but there was a glimmer of sadness and guilt. "I know that you know of our families' secret. And I hope you are aware that your niece is trying to break the curse to free us."

I froze. I tried to process what he had just told me. "And she came to me to ask for help." I began to shake my head slightly to stop him. "Wait, wait, wait! You mean to tell me there's a way to save all of you from Akito?" I asked. "Yes, unfortunately, I don't know how. But for some reason, my curse and mine alone is the only curse that is broken. I don't know how or why, but.." He struggled to find the words. "Let me get this straight. You're dragging a high school girl into your families nonsense!? She is the only family I have left! If anything happens to her, it'll be on your head!" I snapped at him.

"Which is exactly why I came to you." He said, his face never changing. "As much as I want to help the other zodiac members break free, I don't want to put an innocent child at risk of getting hurt. But if there is a chance to set everyone free, to set the children free, the next generation free, shouldn't we take it? Don't you want to help? Don't you want your friends to live the lives they want? To love who they love? Don't you want to be with Shigure?" He asked me so many questions, but it was his final question that stood out the most to me.

"That is a dirty trick, using my relationship with Shigure to get me to corporate with you." I mumbled, annoyed at him. "Is it working?" He asked with a glimmer of hope. I didn't want to get involved in someone else's mess. But I need to protect Tohru. And I hate to admit it, but I want to be with Shigure if he wants to.. and if he ment what he said.. I could feel the heat burning my cheeks. Kurano gave me a knowing look and a pleased smile. "From the look of your face, I'm guessing it did work." He said in triumph. "Shut up." I grumbled as I finished my tea.

Is it really possible to break the curse? Is Tohru really gonna put herself I danger to find it? And if it's broken, will Shigure want me to stay? And most importantly, will I be willing to stay? I wondered to myself. Lost in my own world.

T. B. C