Chapter 24 Behind Mirrors

Chapter 24

"KLO—" I catch myself before I can scream his name. I don't think that it would be wise for me now to scream the Unseelie Prince's name. The thrill of getting to see Steve—I mean, Klovis—just fills my entire body with a huge sense of relief and joy. I have been so worried for him that I didn't think I could eat properly.

Klovis laughs, but it is a very weak chuckle. Still, I can't seem to avert my gaze from him, because even with a haggard face, he still looks extremely beautiful. I believe that he is the most beautiful fairy that I have ever seen. Though his face and complexion is completely different from the version of him in my dreams, I still know that it is him.

"I rather you call me Steve. I'm more comfortable with that since talking to you with my real appearance still feels like a dream." As he says it, I start to see the bags under his eyes because of how shakily he says it.

My worry for him returns.

"Steve, how are you?" I start to ask.

The Unseelie Prince looks so drained behind the broken piece of mirror in my hands, and yet he is still trying to smile like he doesn't want me to worry. "I was feeling terrible."

"Was?" I raise a brow.

"Mhm-hmm." He grins wickedly before meeting my gaze. Despite how tired he looks behind the mirror, there was a spark of life in his eyes. "I feel a lot better after hearing you call for me."

I blushed at his words. Not only is it embarrassing because he said it, but it is also embarrassing because I know it is true because he cannot lie.

I have never really considered how sly Steve can be at times.

Thankfully, Jade takes that perfect moment to make his presence known by jumping on my lap and appearing in front of the mirror.

"Renegar!" Steve starts to pay attention to his emerald beast, much to my relief. "How have you been? Sorry I wasn't able to appear before you as often as I can."
"Wait, you appear in Jade's dreams too?" I start to wonder after overhearing their conversation.

"Not exactly in dreams." Steve explain to me. "It's more like I am appearing somewhere else...something reflective."

"Reflective?" I start to turn my attention toward the emerald beast on my lap. Suddenly, I start to remember the kind of obsessive behavior that I have noticed. "Steve, can you appear on reflective surfaces?" I guess my face seems more shocked than I want to show because Steve looks like he is trying not to laugh.

"Y-Yeah." He briefly turns to the side, like he is trying to compose himself, before turning to face me again. "He's pretty much giving me updates on your safety."

I can only stare at Jade in disbelief before I laugh as soon as the realization strikes me.

"You know, I really thought that Jade was just a narcissistic beast." I shake my head before pulling Jade close to me and readjusting my hold on the mirror. "Zhier does too. He thought that Jade is a weird emerald beast." Upon mentioning Zhier's name, I start to remember what happened earlier. I quickly shook my head.

There's no time for me to be worrying about Zhier or feeling sad at how much he has changed. Right now, I should focus on Prince Klovis.

"Steve," I quickly decide to change the subject. "You're stuck in the mirror, right? Can you tell me how to get you out?"

Steve's smile begins to fade, and his jaw begins to clench. "If I knew how, I would have asked Jade to let me out the moment I heard that you were taken to the fairy realm."