002 - life and death

"some girls have always had a thing for the wolf

"some girls have always had a thing for the wolf." - unknown

———

Death. It was simple, especially to a man of these times. You are slashed by a sword, taken by a sickness, drown, burnt to death. The causes of death dragged on but no one died from old age or in the comfort of their beds.
Aloy found herself staring at a fly-consumed elk. It's insides poured out onto the cobble road. She climbed off of Iron Arrow, leaving her a distance away. Aloy covered her nose for a moment, swallowing her vomit from the smell.
Jon, Robb, and Theon joined around the elk, looking at it with mixed emotions.
Eddard strode closer, his hand resting on his sword. He let out a sigh, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Mountain lion?" Theon asked.

"There are no mountain lions in these woods." Eddard responded.

A whimpering was heard by the riverbank. Eddard took the lead, travelling down the small hill to the edge of the stone bridge. Aloy found a wolf, impaled by a piece of the elk's antler.
The whimpering was coming from five wolf pups, trying to nurse from the dead mother.
Jon's mouth was slightly agape.
Aloy did notice that the mother wolf was rather large compared to the normal woodland wolves. Her pups three times the size as well. She kneeled down with Jon and Eddard, analyzing each pup.

"It's a freak." Theon spat.

"Animals have different ways of defending themselves." Aloy excused, letting a small grey pup sniff her gloved finger. "And this isn't any normal animal."

"It's a Dire wolf." Eddard said, cutting his daughter off. He reached for the antler lodged into the mothers throat and tore it out. "Tough ol' beast."

"There are no dire wolves south of the Wall." Robb said.

"Now there are five." Jon commented, scooping up a grey and white pup and sticking it out to Bran. "You want to hold it?"

Bran stuck his arms out, taking the pup into his arms and holding it gently. Aloy smiled softly. Theon looked to Robb with disgust, hoping his closest friend would help. The pup barked happily, licking Bran's forearm.

    "Where will they go? Their mother's dead." Bran suddenly asked. It was going to be asked sooner or later.

    "They don't belong down here." Ser Rodrik Cassel grumbled. "Better a quick death."

    Aloy shook her head, turning to stare her father dead in the eyes as if her glare held the plea to keep the poor beasts alive. The slaughter of innocents, animals or humans, was something she strongly disagreed with and had no issue taking on whoever, even Jaime Lannister, to stand by it.
    Theon pulled a small dagger out from under his cloak, holding his hand out for the pup. The howling and barking seemed to rise in volume, sensing their sister was in danger.