The Top

Christina and I make it to the top of the skyscraper and find the doctor dead. A mob of Defects come rushing towards us and Christina and I both know we can't stop them.

We go to the roof locking the doors with a piece of wood. Christina looks at her arm and it is now covered in gooey bubbles. It leads up to her shoulder so she takes her shirt off and looks at her chest and stomach. She's turning.

"Oh shit! No I'm not turning into one of those things! Paul! Shoot me," she yells.

"I'm not shooting you," I yell back.

The door behind me is about to burst.

"It's either you shoot me. Or I jump. Off of this DAMN tower! So choose Paul," she yells.

"Christi, um. I'm not shooting-," I say then she interrupts.

"Fine then," she replies.

She puts the gun to her face and is about to pull the trigger but loosens her legs and let's her body fall. She hits the ground and from up here I can here her bones crunch.

I look down and see her body dead on the ground with her bones and limbs bent the wrong way.

The door bursts open and the Defects surround me. One by one they eat the skin of my body and I feel my heart drop but not from dying. From Christina's death. My spirit escapes my body and I see the Defects maul my body. The Defects leave my body and I see my body surrounded by blood and stray bones.

I quickly think of how these past years have been. Christina and I had a good run.

But now I realize.

That it wasn't our job to...

Survive.