Chaos

Zinnia's heartbeat quickened with every step as she hurried towards the cheer pavillion, carrying the two three year olds in her arms. This was supposed to be a night of celebration, The scene before her was anything but.

"Ma'am you have to stand back." An officer told her, trying to keep the onlookers at bay.

"My daughter and son-in-law were at that party." Zinnia told him. "I want to know what's going on."

The officer held his ground, focusing on the crowd in front of him. "Then you best head to the hospital. That's where they've all been taken."

"All of them?" Zinnia questioned, trying to process how they could have all been sent to the hospital when Brayden started to squirm in her arms.

"Mommy! Mommy!"

Zinnia followed his gaze and saw Bree and Winnie talking to an officer near the doors of the pavillion. It seemed not all of them had been taken to the hospital after all. She turned back to the officer only to find he was busy trying to stop someone from taking photos. Taking her opportunity, Zinnia slipped past him and made her way over to where Bree was standing.

"Bree! Winnie!"

"Zinnia!" Both girls gasped as she walked.

"Mommy!" Brayden cheered.

"My little man." Bree sighed in relief, taking him from Zinnia's arms. "I'm so happy to see you."

Brayden gently ran his fingers across her cheek, feeling how damp it was. "Why are you crying Mommy?"

Bree put on a brave face, not wanting to scare her son. "Mommy is okay. Things were a little scary but it's alright now."

Zinnia knew she was lying. She could see the fresh tears threatening to fall from her eyes. Things were far from okay.

"Bree." Zinnia spoke softly. "Would it be okay if I left Ezmae with you so Winnie can fill me in on what's going on? We don't want to scare the little ones."

Bree nodded. "Of course. Come on Ezmae, let's go sit on that bench for a moment."

Zinnia sat Ezmae down and Bree took her hand, guiding her away towards the nearby bench still carrying Brayden in her arms. Zinnia took a breath to collect herself before turning to Winnie.

"What happened here?"

Winnie shook her head. "I'm not sure even I understand it. One moment we were all toasting to another happy year for Bonzo and his family. The next, everyone was on the floor convulsing except Bree and I. The officers think it was a mass poisoning. The only reason Bree and I weren't affected was because we were both drinking water because we knew the punch was mixed with alcohol. But I guess now we know that's not the only thing it was mixed with."

Zinnia shook her head, trying to comprehend it all. "And how are they doing? Is anyone......"

"They're all alive as far as I know." Winnie replied. "At least they were when they left here. Bree and I have been questioned so much we haven't had time to find out more."

Zinnia nodded as she absorbed the information. The she placed a hand on Winnie's shoulder. "What about you dear? Are you okay? I know it must have brought up many emotions for you and Bree to see this happen."

"I don't know." Winnie admitted, placing a hand on her swollen belly. "I'm scared to find out what's going on. If something happened to any of them....to Will....I don't know if I could...."

Winnie dissolved into tears and Zinnia pulled her close. "There, there. Just let it out. We'll all get through this together. They're strong. Have faith."