Chapter 5

He waited until nightfall, when all the trades had finished, he saw him approaching in a relaxed manner, his hands crossed behind his head. He was wearing new clothes, not clean, but much better than his former ones. And the most important part, a new pair of shoes.

"You look better"Leo said as he sat next to him.

"I am, thank you for yesterday"

"Don't mention it. Are you doing ok?"

"I need some help" the boy got straight to the point.

"You need another food pack? I might be able to get you one"

"No, it's already hard enouph for me to get you back the ones I already owe you. What I need is your connections. And it will not be for free, I'll trade something of equal value" the boy was careful with his words trying to find balance between not downsizing what he had to offer and not increasing his dept.

"And what can you offer that I can't get elsewhere?" Leo looked intrigued. If it was a favor, he could offer it without expecting something in return but a deal was a completely different matter, it had to be profitable.

"You know about the rules the guards told us and you can get information on the people here from others. However, since I stayed behind today, I noticed a few things and made a prediction for the following days that will give you time to prepare for what's coming. Since, to collect the same information you would have to stay behind, I am saving you the packs you would have gotten in the race"

"I can always ask someone else to stay behind"

"Do it, if you can find someone reliable"

"Before I agree, I have to know what you want for the information" Leo was curious but doubtful.

"Just an introduction. There are groups that always stay behind you and block the rest. I want the leader of the strongest group." He nodded towards the Keepers.

"Well, they are not protecting me, but the kids of the nobles in front of me. I suppose I can do that but if you want anything from him you need something to offer"

"I have something"

"Okay, I will make the introduction then but, after that, it's all you. Give me a few minutes." Leo left and came back accompanied by a tall for his age, bulky kid with short, straw like hair. His skin was more tanned than the rest from the long exposure to the sunlight and his hands were full of callouses, probably from wielding tools.

"Is this him?" the bulky kid asked and, after recieving confirmation, he sat down and crossed his legs "What do you have for me?" he looked at the boy but didn't notice anything useful in his possession.

"Your group will be attacked within the next 8 days" the boy declared confidently.

"Are you threatening me?"

"It is a fact. I can tell you more if you accept my terms, I promise it will be simple and in your favour" the boy looked him in the eyes trying to figure out the character of the bulky kid.

"I'll decide that. What do you want?"

"I will give you two packs of food per day one in the morning and one in the evening as long as you protect me from the others. That's all I'm asking." the boy decided to open his cards.

"We already get one pack each and an extra one from protecting the fast kids (Grabbers), I don't need yours" the bulky kid nonchalantly responded.

"That's true for the time being, but it will change soon, you need to save up"

"Change how?"

"One pack was missing yesterday and two were missing today, another will be gone tomorrow and one more the day after. I believe I can get a couple of packs after you get yours, but I can't protect them. Guard me and my extra pack will be yours."

"I can beat up the bullies if they mess with you, but during the runs you're on your own."

"As long as you protect me after the runs and don't attack me during, you can have the extra packs of food. The rest is not your problem."

"So, who will fight me?"

"Right now everyone focuses and competes over what you leave behind. If there are no packs left, everyone will choose the risk of fighting whoever still has some, instead of just starving." the boy tried to sound convincing. It was just a theory since he didnt know if this would go on for another day or another month, but he had to secure some protection for at least a couple of days.

"We are stronger" the bulky kid snorted.

"But there will be many more hungry ones. And are you certain that the groups that you run with won't join the others if they don't get any packs? Or will they remain loyal and hungry? Are you going to share your portion?" seeing the doubt in his eyes he went for the final hit "At best you have 7 days left to save food."

A few moments passed before the bulky kid raised two fingers "This many packs after the run"

"One pack for you and one for me. If I take more it will provoke people to attack me"

"Hmph" the bulky kid remained quiet for a moment but then he seemed to make up his mind and offered his hand "Deal"

They shook hands and he left with Leo. As they were walking back to their resting spot, the bulky kid leaned in and asked with a slightly red face.

"How many are seven?"