Chapter 1

The village of Amon had 300 years of history. It was known but not for good reasons. It was famous across the land as the village of the weaklings, the victims, the imbeciles and the pacifists. Regardless of the situation, they refused to retaliate and the villagers didn't raise their heads or fought back, were they insulted or beaten. A few travelers received gratitude from the locals for stopping harassment from outsiders, but they weren't always around to protect the village of the pacifists.

***

Deep within the forest two children were gathering mushrooms for the dinner table. They were doing the same thing but their expressions could be said to be the exact opposite. One of them, a blond boy with green eyes was whistling happily while the shorter of the two, a boy with back hair had a darkened expression. The blond boy raised his head and shouted with an annoyed tone.

"Dude, can you cut it out? Noone is gonna find out."

"I didn't do any.."

"Exactly,you didn't do shit!" He interrupted "So stop weeping like a little bitch and help me gather the damn mushrooms"

" Don't curse dude, your mom will get angry" said the short boy but still smiled at the profanities. Even though they weren't related by blood, they had been together since they could crawl.

"Thats the reason I'm doing it in the forest, far from her ears." The blond boy chuckled.

"And if i tell on you, Aston?" Asked the short boy mischievously.

"Then I will tell them what you did and we are both screwed"

His words erased once again the smile from the boy's face. Aston seemed to regret his words and placed his arm over the boy's shoulders.

"I told you to chill. That damn wolf was bitting my leg so you grabbed a piece of wood and hit his head. You didn't break any rules"

"Of course I did!" shouted the short boy obviously stressed "We are not supposed to fight. If the elders hear about this they will be furious!"

"Would you prefer it if I lost my leg?" Aston pretended he was getting angry.

"..."

"Exactly! So shut up. If something happens, I' ll take the blame as the only adult among us"

"I'll be ten in two months, you are only 3 months older than me" objected the boy.

"And never forget it" Aston joked.

"By the way, it was a raccoon, not a wolf"

"Shut up"

***

"Is this the village?" The man was covered in an exquisite silver armor and a red cape hung from his shoulders. A red comb decorated the helmet that hid his face. Twenty other riders with similar silver armors and red capes followed him.

"That's the one that fits Your description, sir" a soldier in leather armor answered reluctantly. He had been tasked by the kingdom to guide them. It was the first time in ten years of service that he felt inclined to disobey orders. He had a few sentinels with him and a wooden carriage was stationed in the back.

"I see. You can withdraw"

"I was informed by my superiors that You will investigate every adult here. I will escort the children back to the kingdom... Sir" even though his words were respectfull, he wasn't backing out.

The man with the red comb seemed amused by the soldiers attitude.

"Do as you wish. We'll start when you leave"

The kingdom soldier turned to his followers who were glaring at the armoured riders.

"Gather the villagers, separate those bellow the age of ten and tell the outsiders to evacuate"

"At once lieutenant" one of the soldiers responded and gave instructions to the rest.

"Fucking dogs of the Church" the lieutenant whispered through his teeth.

***

"What's going on?" Aston saw the villagers rush to gather at the main square.

"Kingdom's soldiers, they summoned us. Go find your parents" the old baker answered and hurried to follow the rest. His voice was calm as to not scare the children, but his eyebrows were furrowed.

*

"Villagers of Amon. The followers of the Church have requested access to the Kingdom to investigate a great offense. Several villages will be searched, just comply and answer truthfully to all of their questions. Before they begin, every child below the age of ten shall be sent to a different location for their protection. The sin of the adults shall be dealt with far from the eyes and ears of the children. If everyone is innocent, the children will be allowed to return after the investigation is over" the soldier announced. He made sure to emphasize that the Church was in charge. A lot of rumours about their ways of 'investigating ' were known to the people.

Nervousness overcame the villagers, they had no other choice but to obey. The kingdom's orders were absolute.

"You dont think.." the short boy whispered to Aston but, before he could finish his sentence, the heavy palm of his father push him ahead.

"Him too! He has yet to come of age" his father shouted with a pale face. His words weren't a lie since the boy was not considered an adult yet but, in Amon, they started counting the age a year after the birth of the child, so anywhere else in the kingdom he would be considered an adult. His small stature didn't make the soldiers question his words and the other villagers remained silent. Even children weren't safe from the Church.

Before the boy could react, a soldier with a leather armor grabbed him and placed him with the other 12 children.

He turned back to look at his parents. Tears were running from his mother's eyes and his father's tight jaw showed his frustration as his son was taken away. Aston looked terrified while his own father was hugging him.

After recieving confirmation, a soldier guided the children to the carriage and, before long, Amon village was no longer visible.